What are can I let my guineas free range?

cqangie29

Chirping
Mar 8, 2019
Wills Point, East Texas
Hi, I have 6 six week old guinea fowl. 1st time guinea fowl owner (or any other farm animal lol) At the moment, they are in my workshop. I've created a run for them and sleeping area with heat lamps. They are running around, flying around and seem to be wanting to be roaming outside. They are not full grown but are just about fully feathered. I want to let them out to roam, but scared they won't come back. We have a huge tree for them to roost in, and 1 acre to roam. But we are surrounded by neighbors' fields and pastures. They have 5 dogs that run wild, coyotes in the area and hawks that stay near (I saw 5 flying above our property yesterday). They've been in the workshop 3 weeks now. What is your experience with guineas? Do they come back? Will they be able to protect themselves from predators? I would love your feedback, thank you!

Hi, I have 6 six week old guinea fowl. 1st time guinea fowl owner (or any other farm animal lol) At the moment, they are in my workshop. I've created a run for them and sleeping area with heat lamps. They are running around, flying around and seem to be wanting to be roaming outside. They are not full grown but are just about fully feathered. I want to let them out to roam, but scared they won't come back. We have a huge tree for them to roost in, and 1 acre to roam. But we are surrounded by neighbors' fields and pastures. They have 5 dogs that run wild, coyotes in the area and hawks that stay near (I saw 5 flying above our property yesterday). They've been in the workshop 3 weeks now. What is your experience with guineas? Do they come back? Will they be able to protect themselves from predators? I would love your feedback, thank you!
I personally free range my guineas. We just had to lock them in the coop so that way they knew that was home before we let them out. One thing you should know, guineas are mean! They can and will protect themselves.

I have no firsthand experience with guineas but my neighbors let theirs out too young (not sure exact age but not full grown) and they were gone first day. Not trying to scare you just don't want them to run away. Good luck!
Ooooh really??? Ok, well that answers my question lol. They might be too young then. I was hoping to let them out for a bit to free range but I'll wait another month or so. Thank you!

I personally free range my guineas. We just had to lock them in the coop so that way they knew that was home before we let them out. One thing you should know, guineas are mean! They can and will protect themselves.
Lol yes, my sons have learned that they can be mean. They pecked at his hand when they were trying to pet one. I think I'll wait another month before I let them out. Thank you

You might want to house them in the coop for 6 weeks so they know where home is. I housed mine with chickens so they knew this was their area then I let them loose and the rooster in trees. With that many predators around, if you let them roam they might be taken.
They've been in my shop for 3 weeks and I house them with my 4 week old chicks. They all get along great, which I'm relieved. They've been together since they were a few days old. But I'm in the middle of building their coop now. So I think I'll keep them inside for another month. Thank you

I can't speak for guineas, but with our chickens, we put our chickens in the coop when they were about 6 weeks old and had it basically functioning like a brooder until we were sure they were able to go down the ramp into the run. The first day we let them free range, they came right back to the coop for bedtime! As long as your flock knows where home is, I would expect they would come back.

As for the predators, we don't let our birds out if we see hawks/bald eagles. We just don't like to take that risk, and our coop/run is large enough to keep them in if we need. This is the case for if we see any predators or any signs of predators. We had a fox hanging out not too long ago, so the birds stayed locked up for a few weeks. They weren't happy, but we were happy that they were safe! It's definitely your personal preference what you do with your flock! Good luck!

I can't speak for guineas, but with our chickens, we put our chickens in the coop when they were about 6 weeks old and had it basically functioning like a brooder until we were sure they were able to go down the ramp into the run. The first day we let them free range, they came right back to the coop for bedtime! As long as your flock knows where home is, I would expect they would come back.

As for the predators, we don't let our birds out if we see hawks/bald eagles. We just don't like to take that risk, and our coop/run is large enough to keep them in if we need. This is the case for if we see any predators or any signs of predators. We had a fox hanging out not too long ago, so the birds stayed locked up for a few weeks. They weren't happy, but we were happy that they were safe! It's definitely your personal preference what you do with your flock! Good luck!
Guineas are not chickens and do not behave like chickens.

Back
Top Bottom