what are combs and wattles supposed to look like before maturity?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by l'abeille, Nov 15, 2009.

1. l'abeille

l'abeille Songster

Oct 16, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    I have 2 5-month-old Black Australorps that I just got a week ago. I am trying to figure out how sexually mature they might be. Hen 1 has a rosy comb and biggish wattles. Does that mean she may lay soon? (She doesn't squat yet). Hen 2 has dusty looking pink comb and small wattles. Will 2's wattles grow? Is ashy pink a healthy color for a pullet's comb? Will it turn red?

Thanks!

2. Here is a picture of a couple of my birds...they had just "discovered" the nest boxes (which had been there for at least 6 weeks!), investigated them, and then layed their first eggs on the day this picture was taken:) The black one is a BA, she was 21 weeks at the time.
    [​IMG]

(The other breeds shown were Dominique, also 21 weeks, and a white EE at 26 weeks)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  3. shaggy

shaggy Songster

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    here is a pic comparison i did of my RIR ---- https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=266291

in
    the first pic she is 20 weeks old --- still looking like a very young pullet
    in the second pic she is 27 weeks old --- you can see the HUGE difference in comb and wattle size
    she is now 28 weeks old and still no eggs ---- but she is very close

from the very little experience i have had ---- i would say it goes in this order

Stage 1 -- facial skin goes starts getting slightly redder from the original fleshy pink color
    Stage 2 -- comb and waddles start increasing in size
    Stage 3 -- as they increase in size they start getting redder
    Stage 4 -- comb and waddles become full size and comb waddles become blood red
    Stage 5 -- they start squatting
    Stage 6 -- they squat and do the egg song
    Stage 7 -- they lay eggs

here is a post that is full of pics that i have been taking on my buff orpingtons

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=247861

4. l'abeille

l'abeille Songster

Oct 16, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    wow, thanks for all the helpful pictures and info!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by