What are good snacks for chickens? Please help.

TenderLemon103

In the Brooder
Mar 15, 2017
I don't what all fruits and veggies are okay to give your chickens. What else can I give them for snacks? So could anyone help me out with this? Can they have and do they like bananas? Please help.

They can eat most foods that people can. They can eat anything but avacadoes, undercooked/ raw beans, sugary foods, chocolate, high fat/ salty foods. And there might be more I'm not thinking of. Each chicken is different in what they like or don't like. Mine love banana and banana peel, but I have heard of some people's chickens not liking them. Mine love watermelon, celery, banana, and pasta. Have fun experimenting with what they like or don't like! I will be happy to answer any questions you have about them if I can. Welcome to BYC!

ETA: just be sure not to overfeed treats so they can get the benifits of their balanced feed. Treats are like giving a child cookies and cake. :)

Last edited:
They can eat most foods that people can. They can eat anything but avacadoes, undercooked/ raw beans, sugary foods, chocolate, high fat/ salty foods. And there might be more I'm not thinking of. Each chicken is different in what they like or don't like. Mine love banana and banana peel, but I have heard of some people's chickens not liking them. Mine love watermelon, celery, banana, and pasta. Have fun experimenting with what they like or don't like! I will be happy to answer any questions you have about them if I can. Welcome to BYC!

ETA: just be sure not to overfeed treats so they can get the benifits of their balanced feed. Treats are like giving a child cookies and cake. :)

Alright awesome, thank you so much for your help. I've been dying to give them treats but I only knew of a few things and want to experiment and expand what I give them like I see everyone else doing on here. And I'm very careful about treating my animals I learned my lesson with my childhood cat he got majorly overweight and never wanted to eat his actual food so all of my animals get very limited amounts of treats lol.

See! I always see videos online of chickens doing that so that's what I'm hoping they'll do! I want that to happen with me I've always been jealous when I see that LOL! I want my chickens to run to me all crazy excited over something they love!

Back
Top Bottom