What are good space requirements for japanese quail(one pair)

Are you meaning the Coturnix? If so, I'd go with a pair of females at that point, since it would be too tight for a breeding pair and odds are the female would be severely over bred
Well i saw somewhere that coturnix japonica is like subspecies of coturnix coturnix or just coturnix. If they are same species that are equal in weight than thats it coturnix. Thank you

Ummm yeah I’m currently running 1 bird per sq ft and I see territorial behavior and will be bumping up to 3 per sqft. So while you may not agree, maybe post your recommendation instead of “yeah,no” cause that’s really helpful ?? :caf
Sure, people who raise their birds just for meat/eggs and want pure efficiency will crowd their birds together like that. It works, but I don't think the birds are happy.

I started raising my own meat specifically because I don't want to support that kind of setup for the poor creatures. You can also reduce territorial behaviour by giving them more room rather than less.

Sure, people who raise their birds just for meat/eggs and want pure efficiency will crowd their birds together like that. It works, but I don't think the birds are happy.

I started raising my own meat specifically because I don't want to support that kind of setup for the poor creatures. You can also reduce territorial behaviour by giving them more room rather than less.
I haven’t done the research on it to figure out the numbers, but when I questioned Zack about it and his research which he ran everything from 1-7 per sqft. Best result we’re achieved using 3-4 and thats not just best laying results. Hard to argue someone who put the time in on the research. I’m running 1per sqft roughly and I don’t like it.

I haven’t done the research on it to figure out the numbers, but when I questioned Zack about it and his research which he ran everything from 1-7 per sqft. Best result we’re achieved using 3-4 and thats not just best laying results. Hard to argue someone who put the time in on the research. I’m running 1per sqft roughly and I don’t like it.
I remember Zack saying that too. I have the luxury of being a backyard hobbyist, so I can give my birds more room instead of less if there are territory issues. Mine do quite well with 2-3 square feet per bird.

Back
Top Bottom