What are good weights for jumbo coturnix hen and roo?

srsmith69

Songster
10 Years
Aug 25, 2009
Oklahoma
I weighed my 9 week old coturnix this weekend. Out of 40. I had 2 hens weigh 12.5 ounces and a couple roos weigh 9.6 ounces. The rest were smaller with a few 11 ounce hens and most of the roos weighing 8 ounces. My question is, what is considered a nice jumbo. Are mine undersized or average?

These came from a hatch out of the biggest 10 hens and two roos that I saved from my first and second hatches. The biggest two hens in that pen weigh 11.5 ounces and the roos weigh 8.5. I've gained an ounce for both hens and roos.

My plan is to put my 5 biggest hens with my biggest roo and hatch again. But, how big is big. How much do your coturnix weigh?

Quote:
From ebay. They are from B. Alvey, Dublin TX. Won 52 eggs. 64 was shipped. 38 hatched, with 32 survived at present. !6 males, 16 females. expecting eggs any day, we hope. This is day old:

47716_quail_chicks_1.jpg

Took these photos Saturday, April 10, 2010.

47716_female_texas_jumbo_pharoah_quail_2.jpg

47716_female_texas_jumbo_pharoah_quail_3.jpg

Anyone? I know jumbos are supposed to be up to a pound. But, whose ever actually had a 16 oz bird. I want to know if I should be happy with a couple 12 oz hens out of 40 hens or should I be looking for new stock. If so, who has birds that are bigger than my 12 ouncers

I've posted before on the subject of weight and it seems this is a taboo subject. Perhaps most people just don't want to admit theirs don't measure up to the advertised 16 ounce Jumbos. I don't get it.

Quote:
I need to wiegh mine they are 5 weeks old and it would really surprise me if they did not weigh 7-10 oz. lil chunky butts they are . what kind of scales does everyone use for this?

Quote:
I need to wiegh mine they are 5 weeks old and it would really surprise me if they did not weigh 7-10 oz. lil chunky butts they are . what kind of scales does everyone use for this?

I plan on getting or making a small carry type cage to hold them in and a digital scale from walmart. We already have the scale.

i use a scale i got at walmart its for the kitchen its digital and used for light weight measuring and gos up in 0.1 oz to 3 pounds as far as the jumbo brown i started over and got new stock they are 4 weeks old , a 12oz bird i thank is a good starting point keep culling and keeping the best, buy a few eggs from 16oz birds if they get that big good if close use they as some new blood lines maybe a cross of yours and theirs will make a bigger bird

Back
Top Bottom