What are good weights for jumbo coturnix hen and roo?

pop.gif

I use little, like 5 quart rubbermaid containers with lidsand a digital postal scale. Zero scale with the tote on it. Put quail in and quickly close lid. Works great.

I don't know. I would think that anyone with decent sized birds would like to brag on them. I will give credit to ugly ducky on this forum. I ordered my first eggs from her. She says she has 12 to 14 oz browns, goldens and A&m. From her stock I have some goldens and browns that go 12.5 oz at 9 weeks. I thought I had kept a couple close to 14 oz hens from her eggs. But my largest I currently have of her original stock are at 11.5 oz. I did have a couple birds die though so that may be what happened to my 14 ouncers.

I've got 30 A&M eggs ordered from her now

Quote:
I love it. LOL

Our first Jumbos are at 5 weeks now. When mature, I'll weigh them and post. Some are definately bigger than others. My plan was to use the largest for breeding.

I'll do the same. Mine were 4 oz to 6.4 oz at 17 days old. I'll weigh them again when (if) I wing band them. It will be easy to keep track of them them. When I weighed them before I just used the digital scale I use for my Seramas. I didn't put them in anything. I just held them until they calmed down (a few seconds) then placed them on the scale, no problem
idunno.gif
They let us pick them up, so it wasn't a big deal.

Now we're getting somewhere. If everyone posts their quail weights, we'll all know how ours measures up. thanks guys. Keep 'em coming.

Quote:
Exactly. I cant wait for mines to get up in age so I can post there weights and see which if any of the breeders I hatched eggs from have those big birds they claim.

I have been weighing my 4 'jumbo' coturnix since they hatched. Kitchen scales with a large ziploc container to stop them sliding off.
@ 2 days between 7g-12g (~0.25oz).
@ 1 week 22g, 28g, 30g, 31g (`0.75oz - 1oz)
@ 5 weeks 177g, 184g, 191g and 205g (6.24oz, 6.5oz, 6.75oz and the female at 7.25oz)

I also have another hatch but they are only a week old (mixed coturnix) but the smallest is 22g (same as first lot) and largest is 50g!! quite a bit more than the first lot. Be interesting to see how they progress.

Back
Top Bottom