What are good weights for jumbo coturnix hen and roo?

"Anyone? I know jumbos are supposed to be up to a pound"
lau.gif

GOOD ONE!

Anything coturnix in the 12-14 oz range are big for the breed/ speces. Those are nice size quail. I wont say 16oz has never/ wont ever happen/ed, but my bet is that its rare and likely some sort of bizarre condition --- kinda like coturnix andre the giant sort of thing..... The size range in this speces varies drastically in all colors and breedings. There may well be 16 oz 'ers out there, but they are not the norm, but rather the abnormal and rare. For max size in any speces of quail selective breeding is key. I think your breeding plan is sound and should be a great start if size is your goal. send a pm to sam he is selective breeding in an attempt to restore a&m like quailities he may well have some good tips/ tricks to share?

oh and jen--- the whole lunch bag thing? --- You're gonna make them lil birds nuerotic!
smile.png
Talk about getting a complex-- As if being low man on the food chain wasnt bad enough now you get stuffed into a lunch bag to be weighed? lol! ( I'm just teasin ya Jen ! Please dont pierce my chickens!
smile.png
)

Sorry, I tried to get him to stand on the scale but I guess you know where that went. Actually, he calmed right down and really didn't seem to mind that much.

Mine are way to spastic to nicely stand on the scale. My first attempt at weighing them involved cutting the toe end out of a tube sock.

Have you ever tried to stuff a quail in a sock. Not fun for me or the quail.

Question still to be answered...what would be considered a good weight for a roo? My heavyweights are hens. The roos are under 10 ounces. I know the roos will be smaller, but 2 to 3 ounces smaller? My thoughts are that a 10 ounce roo would be good. Any other thoughts?

I weighed my 40 7 week old quail this weekend. I've got my 10 oz rooster now. Had a couple 12+ oz hens in there too. I segregated all the keepers from the smaller birds. In a few weeks I'll be setting eggs from a half dozen 12+ oz hens and the ten ounce roo.

Anyone else want to report on the siZe of their quail?

Ours are 3 weeks and 2 days today. They were not quite as cooperative as last time
tongue.png
so I only weighed the top 2 of the 6 pens. Each pen has (I think) 3 hens and one roo, but that's a guess by chest pattern right now...

Pen 1-7.5 oz, 7.2 oz, 7.5 oz and 7.1 oz
Pen 2-7.1 oz, 8.2 oz, 7.1 oz and 9.8 oz.
For an average of just under 7.7 oz. For not quite 3 1/2 weeks old, I'm thrilled with that
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom