what are hens worth? selling flock

jruhle

Songster
7 Years
Mar 16, 2012
Ive made the heartbreaking decision to sell my flock. I have no time or $ since I'm building a house. How do you figure what they are worth? They are all different ages and breeds.

I don't think there is a simple answer to your question. Part of what they're worth depends on where you live and what the market is there. If you live in a rural area like I do where chickens are in abundance, you're not going to get much for them, regardless of age or breed. (Unless, of course, they're something special.). It might be hard to get much for an older hen who is no longer producing, as most people (around here, anyway) don't generally want to feed an unproductive animal. Like I said, that's where I live. Every circumstance is different.

X2, it mostly depends on where you live and if any are fancy or show quality Check Craigslist or auction results and ask on your state thread for what equivalent birds are going for locally... this time of year usually layers at least are pretty easy to sell. If you have show birds, try the BYC Buy-Sell-Forum if you are willing to ship.

Same around here as bobbi, Amish every other year or so get rid of like 7000 2nd year old birds when they get pullets to POL. At $.50- $1 each. And prices from/for others range hugely like stated age breed etc all would go into account. Try a CL to see if anyone interested and take offers on the flock, not birds so you don't sell the best and get left with others you'll have issues rehoming. That's what I would do anyway.

Around here, NW Alabama, most full grown chickens sell for $8-$10 each. I sold some chicks for $2 each and some month olds for $5.

I live in Alaska and I paid around $10 for adult hens. I guess I'll try that. They are all great layers. I do plan to keep about a dozen. I can't be without any. I admit it, I'm a chickenoholic.

Around here, NW Alabama, most full grown chickens sell for $8-$10 each. I sold some chicks for $2 each and some month olds for $5.
Same here in Tennessee, the price on pullets goes up and after age 18 months or so.. the price drops especially as the hen ages. good place for prices in your area is CL- unless you have a very special breed.
I paid more for my buckeye hen and I'm flipping flocks this year--she won't be going.

I've just sold 15ish birds. New layers, had only been laying 2-3 months, I got $20 each. They were mixed breed hens. 2 year old hens that had started laying again after the winter went for $10 each. They were hatchery birds. I gave price breaks on multiple birds.

It's just a balance between do you want to get the most money for them and take your time, or just discount the entire flock and get rid of them.

The hardest part will be letting them go! I love my birds, but it's time to make sacrifices.

I've just sold 15ish birds. New layers, had only been laying 2-3 months, I got $20 each. They were mixed breed hens. 2 year old hens that had started laying again after the winter went for $10 each. They were hatchery birds. I gave price breaks on multiple birds.

It's just a balance between do you want to get the most money for them and take your time, or just discount the entire flock and get rid of them.
Wow! I'm coming out there if I ever want to sell hens!
bow.gif
(I'll let you know in plenty of time so you can get a room ready for me
smile.png
) Honestly, I don't know how far I'd have to travel to sell chickens for that much. Closer toward the Twin Cities, obviously...

Back
Top Bottom