WHAT ARE LASH EGGS?

safe_image.php

1.bp.blogspot.com

http://timbercreekfarmer.com/what-is-a-lash-egg-salpingitis-in-laying-hens/
What is a Lash Egg? Salpingitis in Laying Hens

By Janet Garman
I had never even heard of a lash egg. It has been over 10 years since we first began chicken keeping. In all that time, not once did I have a lash egg laid in my chicken coop. Until one day, a strange looking “thing”appeared. We had occasional strange eggs, bumpy shells, extra pigment, weak egg shells and one or two rubber eggs (no shell at all). And then, there it was. What is a Lash Egg you might be asking?

What is a Lash Egg ?
The first time you see this anomaly in the nest box or somewhere in the hen house you will be shocked. They are pretty gross looking objects. The lash egg may be rubbery and hard or a bit squishy but the many layers of material inside are the true markings of a lash egg.

Salpingitis
The correct term for the condition causing a lash egg is Salpingitis which is an inflammation of the oviduct where the egg begins its travels. The lash egg is not a true egg but may contain bits of egg material and a lot of pus and other material. They are rather disgusting and odd to see. The reason they are sort of egg shaped is because they still travel through the reproductive system as an egg does. The one I found was very green. The inside, on further inspection, did show the layers and different material inside.

Is a lash egg a health problem?
Is it a big problem? Lash Eggs, and Salpingitis can be a big problem. The inflammation may be due to an illness or infection and often by the time the lash eggs are seen, the hen is too sick to be saved. Or it could be a one time occurrence. As with many things when dealing with chickens, we often don’t see the symptoms of a problem until it is too far gone. In our case, I looked at all the hens trying to determine which one might have laid the lash egg. All of our hens seem very healthy and happy, eating well, interacting and dust bathing. None of the hens had any lethargy, cough, drainage or discharge.

Do You Need to Cull the Hen?

I definitely do not believe you need to cull a hen because she laid a lash egg or if she lays any abnormal egg. Many factors can contribute to upsetting the natural egg production. In the case of a lash egg, an infection or illness may irritate the Fallopian tube and oviduct causing an abnormal secretion or presence of pus. This may be serious or transient. Hens can recover from illness on their own or they may succumb. I would not recommend letting any animal suffer pain or serious illness but I believe a wait and see approach can be taken. A vet can be called to assist and may prescribe antibiotics

Back
Top Bottom