What are my chances?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by EE5RR3, Mar 3, 2017.

1. EE5RR3

EE5RR3 Just Hatched

Mar 3, 2017
    Sullivan MO
    My Coop
    I borrowed a little Giant circulated air incubator with the self turner. I set it up before placing my eggs, humidity held at 47%. Fastforward day 18 when I try to increase my humidity and find the incubator wont hold water. Humidity has stayed at 47 %. 1 chick has hatched but what are my chances anymore will? Side note I tried misting my eggs to increase humidity without any result.

2. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under EE5RR3 [​IMG] Welcome!

Sorry, I too have no experience with incubators, just hatches under a broody hen. However, N F C has given you the link to a good place to ask questions.

Best wishes and fingers crossed for more little ones.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

4. EE5RR3

EE5RR3 Just Hatched

Mar 3, 2017
    Sullivan MO
    My Coop
    Thank you it's been helpful so far

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad to hear that the link given by NFC has been useful.

Best wishes
    CT

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. Sorry I don't have any hatching experience.

7. HeavensHens88

HeavensHens88 Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2015
    Totality lost it.
    Welcome to the ultimate Clan, Club, and sometimes Conundrum of Chicken Lovers!
    You'll find the nicest people here who will always be at your beckon call within seconds (literally) with any fowl enigma you have!
    I have some experience with hatching eggs: at 47%, you actually do have a chance that more chicks will hatch, although they may be small and not moist with egg fluids like normal chicks upon hatching, therefore perhaps needing extra care. What day of incubation are you on?
    After you solve your hatching troubles, you may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread#post_3239224
    All of birds are all part of one massive, unanimously-beloved flock on BYC- and we have our fingers crossed for your chicks!!!
    We're glad you're here!!!
    Wings of Wishes,
    ~Sarah

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  8. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Chicken eggs right? Actually, 47 isn't too bad. I go 55 to 62. Don't mist the eggs..more for duck eggs with that.

According to what day you are on will be how you will consider the chance of having more hatch. Day 21? You could still have some hatch up until day 23, then, that's pushing it.

If you have an incubator with a fan, the water really does dry up fast. I put a short glass in there with a sponge in..full of water. If there is room, and you need more humidity..you can use two short glasses. Make sure there is no condensation on the windows, that means..too much humidity. They can do pretty well well with even just the one glass with the wells full too. Take out those plugs during lock down. You can use a straw to add more water to the wells if you don't want to use a glass, or don't have the room. Use a syringe to put water down into the straw/wells.
    Good luck, hope you have more by now...and...

WELCOME!~!

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas and [​IMG]! Thanks for joining our community! Best of luck on your hatch!! [​IMG]

10. EE5RR3

EE5RR3 Just Hatched

Mar 3, 2017
    Sullivan MO
    My Coop
    Thank you Sarah I didn't know there were different threads for different states! That is pretty cool. We are on day 22 today. Our only chick that hatched was pretty wet so hopefully the others are just late bloomers and not shrink wrapped in their egg :-(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by