What are my chickens doing in these pictures?

I've got a big flower garden and my hens like to peck for bugs UNDER the other hen trying to relax in the dustbath. I think it's sibling rivalry just trying to irritate each other a bit for a laugh. Then finally pack in tight and chill.

Years ago, I had a small Aracauna hen that had been attacked by a cat, and ended up with a hole in her crop. My vet kept her at this office for about a week while he struggled to get the stitiches to hold in that strong muscle. He had several large houseplants in his lobby, and they'd let the little hen loose in the office to visit. I came in to find most of the dirt in both of the plants scattered all over the floor, and this little bird sitting nicely in the pot, happily bathing. I might add, I had a bit of a time getting her back. She'd been laying for them and they fell in love with her.

The first time I saw my girls dust bathing, two of them had burried themselves between my bean vines clear up to their shoulders! They were purring/humming and had their eyes closed---I thought they were dieing! I went to digging them out and cleaning them up as quick as I could---scared me half to death! Of course they just got mad and went to the other end of the garden and up-rooted half of my basil to dig out another hole to wallow in........... Now we have little "chicken bowls" all over the yards. They leave a distinct shape, so you can tell just where they've been!

Years ago, I had a small Aracauna hen that had been attacked by a cat, and ended up with a hole in her crop. My vet kept her at this office for about a week while he struggled to get the stitiches to hold in that strong muscle. He had several large houseplants in his lobby, and they'd let the little hen loose in the office to visit. I came in to find most of the dirt in both of the plants scattered all over the floor, and this little bird sitting nicely in the pot, happily bathing. I might add, I had a bit of a time getting her back. She'd been laying for them and they fell in love with her.
Aww! And the vet was able to patch her up ok?

My girls will sprawl out in the sun and almost look dead. Anytime we have a good sunny day they make a dirt hole in the ground and bathe in the sun. Funny.

Back
Top Bottom