What are my chickens?

AshleyB

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 25, 2012
We got 3 chicks in late March and have no idea what breed or gender they are. I know one is a Barred Rock but am unsure of the other 2. One just looks like a plain white chicken lol. We are new to chickens and have no idea how to tell what we have yet. If I had to guess, maybe 2 roos and a hen? I am hoping for hens but I don't think it's looking too good. :) Any guesses? I could take better pics if I need to. Thanks!

well...one is a rhode island red....and the other looks like an orpington....cant tell if they r roosters...have they started growing spurs?

I am so embarassed to say that I just had to look up what a spur was. I am not sure but I can go check.

Spurs usually don't grow on roos until they are closer to a year in age (it's the very last sign of male-ness to develop).

Your Barred Rock is a male. I agree that the red one is most likely a hatchery quality RIR, but the white one is definitely not an Orpington (a very light red colored breed, called Buff)

Are there any colors on your white chicken besides white? I think I see a color spot, but it's hard to tell if it's dirt or not. It's too heavy-framed for a Leghorn (plus has red, not white ears), but too light for a Rock. Hrm... I'd say this is a Tetra-tint (common name for a hatchery egg-laying hybrid).

Barred Rock - Rooster

I am editing because I just realized you said Chicks purchased Late March.
Which means they are not even egg laying age yet if you got them as chicks.

All the red around the head ( combs - waddles )

I think you have 3 boys I could be wrong but thats an awful lot of red there for them to be pullets.

Last edited:
How old were they when you got them? They all look like roos to me. Pullets don't develop wattles that large until just before they lay - 16 weeks or so. None of my 11wk-old pullets have any wattles to speak of right now.

Barred Rock rooster
White Rock or Leghorn Rooster
Rhode Island Red Rooster

"but the white one is definitely not an Orpington (a very light red colored breed, called Buff)"

(Orpingtons come in White, Buff, Black, Blue and some other colors.)

Barred Rock rooster
White Rock or Leghorn Rooster
Rhode Island Red Rooster

"but the white one is definitely not an Orpington (a very light red colored breed, called Buff)"

(Orpingtons come in White, Buff, Black, Blue and some other colors.)

Yes, you're right, but they are not likely to be colors that one would pick up unknowingly as most hatcheries don't sell anything but Buffs. Also, none of the colors come with those bright yellow legs.

Also, Leghorns do not come with red ears.

Yes, you're right, but they are not likely to be colors that one would pick up unknowingly as most hatcheries don't sell anything but Buffs.  Also, none of the colors come with those bright yellow legs.

Also, Leghorns do not come with red ears.
Not only is the colour both for feathers and legs wrong for an Orpington, it has no resemblance in body to them either. Orpingtons are heavy and have loose feathering. This is very tightly feathered and slim. Zero chance of it having any Orpington in it at all.

All look to be boys.. Depending on the age you got them.. If they were day olds in late March - all boys. The white one is the only one with a chance. Only a chance if it was say - 8 weeks old when you got them :p

Back
Top Bottom