What are my chickens??

ellerick

In the Brooder
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
First time posting- love reading BYC!
1f60a.png

This is Starlight & Goldfish. Got them at end of Feb (first chicken batch) and they are both sweet. Slightly lazy, weak limbs, big eaters, but they are our favorites! My guess is they are heritage whites?

We have 6 others. 3 more roosters
1f629.png
and 3 hens. They are all dark. One Roo is blueish tinted. The others are dark with brown on feathers. Nice enough, very skiddish, they are good foragers. The roosters are starting to be more... Well... Roostery.

Any thoughts? I really only wanted hens but I guess that's what happens when you get them from A feed store. My fav, goldfish, I assume is a meat bird? Poor fella is getting weighed down & his legs are going to give out. We will eventually get more HENS- any suggestions? A friendly family bird, good layer, good forager, and heat/cold tolerant. Thanks a bunch
1f60a.png
1f413.png

Thank you! I'm sorry- I didn't mean to post it here, my internet has been wild tonight so I did it from my phone. I'm having a hard time finding my way on mobile version.

When you said weak legs I automatically thought Cornish x - meatbirds. Even if they aren't processed early, they end up dying because their legs and organs can't handle such heavy bodies. I am sorry.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. X2 on drumstick diva; Starlight and Goldfish are Cornish cross. You should butcher them both at 8 weeks. Due to the abnormal growth rates of Cornish cross, if you wait much longer than that they will begin to develop serious health problems. Your pics are quite distant, but you have at least four Golden Laced Wyandottes, one of which is a cockerel. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

First time posting- love reading BYC!
1f60a.png

This is Starlight & Goldfish. Got them at end of Feb (first chicken batch) and they are both sweet. Slightly lazy, weak limbs, big eaters, but they are our favorites! My guess is they are heritage whites?

They look like Cornish crosses. The one in front is a cockerel, but that doesn't really matter since they are harvest size.

We have 6 others. 3 more roosters
1f629.png
and 3 hens. They are all dark. One Roo is blueish tinted. The others are dark with brown on feathers. Nice enough, very skiddish, they are good foragers. The roosters are starting to be more... Well... Roostery.

Not quite sure what breed the boy in middle is. The one on his right looks like a Golden Laced Wyandotte. The Cornish Crosses in the back, and everyone else in this picture is a Dark Cornish.

Any thoughts? I really only wanted hens but I guess that's what happens when you get them from A feed store. My fav, goldfish, I assume is a meat bird? Poor fella is getting weighed down & his legs are going to give out. We will eventually get more HENS- any suggestions? A friendly family bird, good layer, good forager, and heat/cold tolerant. Thanks a bunch
1f60a.png
1f413.png

More pictures:

This one is a Dark Cornish cockerel.

The bird in front is a Dark Cornish pullet, and the bird behind her is a Golden Laced Wyandotte. Not sure on that one's gender.

Back
Top Bottom