What are my girls?

DottieMinerva

In the Brooder
Sep 22, 2019
South Florida
I acquired a small farm with one chicken. Later, my local animal control found 2 abandoned hen pecked hens that I took in. Now I have 3 happy girls who lay almost every day. The red one without the saddle lays large brown eggs, the white one lays small pink eggs, and the red one with the saddle lays small white eggs that look blue next to the Publix white eggs. I'm new to this chicken ownership and they are such a delight! Any help identifying them would be great. Thank you!
Screenshot_20190923-152140.png
IMG_20190907_174117.jpg
IMG_20190906_172249.jpg
IMG_20190822_105702.jpg
IMG_20190727_124742.jpg

White bird is a mix called an Easter Egger, which is why you've got light blue eggs.

The hen without the saddle looks to be a Gold Sexlink which are known for laying lovely brown eggs, often that terra cotta color.

The hen with the saddle looks to be a Buff Orpington. They generally lay beige-pink tinted eggs.

Congratulations on your new hens.

My thoughts.
LofMc

White bird is a mix called an Easter Egger, which is why you've got light blue eggs.

The hen without the saddle looks to be a Gold Sexlink which are known for laying lovely brown eggs, often that terra cotta color.

The hen with the saddle looks to be a Buff Orpington. They generally lay beige-pink tinted eggs.

Congratulations on your new hens.

My thoughts.
LofMc
X2 here - and thank you for starting your flock with rescues. That's really cool!

I acquired a small farm with one chicken. Later, my local animal control found 2 abandoned hen pecked hens that I took in. Now I have 3 happy girls who lay almost every day. The red one without the saddle lays large brown eggs, the white one lays small pink eggs, and the red one with the saddle lays small white eggs that look blue next to the Publix white eggs. I'm new to this chicken ownership and they are such a delight! Any help identifying them would be great. Thank you!View attachment 1915956 View attachment 1915957 View attachment 1915958 View attachment 1915959 View attachment 1915960
How sure are you as to which hen is laying which egg? If I were to guess I would say you have an Easter Egger a golden comet and a buff orpington and that you have the egg color swapped between the orpington and the Easter Egger as to which one is laying which

How sure are you as to which hen is laying which egg? If I were to guess I would say you have an Easter Egger a golden comet and a buff orpington and that you have the egg color swapped between the orpington and the Easter Egger as to which one is laying which

I'm 100 percent positive about the one pictured in the grass as laying the large brown eggs because she was the only chicken we had at first. It is quite possible that I got the other two mixed up. They are essentially attached to the hip and we refer to them as The Twins because they do everything together including laying in the same nest. I saw the white one in the coop and then recovered a pink egg later. I don't know if she was sitting on an egg that was already there or if she laid it.

I'm 100 percent positive about the one pictured in the grass as laying the large brown eggs because she was the only chicken we had at first. It is quite possible that I got the other two mixed up. They are essentially attached to the hip and we refer to them as The Twins because they do everything together including laying in the same nest. I saw the white one in the coop and then recovered a pink egg later. I don't know if she was sitting on an egg that was already there or if she laid it.
Okie dokie then, I'll stand by my guess :)

No...the white hen is the Easter Egger...she has a pea comb, typical of that mixture, resulting from the pass Ameraucana blood in her that gave her the single blue shell gene to produce light blue eggs.

the yellow hen is the Buff orpington...and they traditionally lay the light beige-pink egg.

the reddish-gold hen looks to be a Gold Comet/Gold Sexlink (multitude of other names) and every one I've ever had laid a beautiful terra cotta brown...so much so I used it to improve my Barnvelder line for egg color.

I'm pretty sure about my guesses.

LofMc

No...the white hen is the Easter Egger...she has a pea comb, typical of that mixture, resulting from the pass Ameraucana blood in her that gave her the single blue shell gene to produce light blue eggs.

the yellow hen is the Buff orpington...and they traditionally lay the light beige-pink egg.

the reddish-gold hen looks to be a Gold Comet/Gold Sexlink (multitude of other names) and every one I've ever had laid a beautiful terra cotta brown...so much so I used it to improve my Barnvelder line for egg color.

I'm pretty sure about my guesses.

LofMc
I think we're all in agreement here :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom