what are my hens doing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chixruleboysdrool, Nov 26, 2011.

1. chixruleboysdrool

chixruleboysdrool Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Portland,ME
    My two hens have started to dig little holes in my yard. Then they sit in them and sleep when they have perfectly good nesting boxes in thier coop. Does anyone know why they are doing this?

2. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    When they are diggin they are dusting themselves for bugs. It is natures way of helping to prevent parasite overload. Also to hide themsleves from preditors. Gloria Jean

3. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Good garden o' peas! Mine have holes all around the sceptic tank that I think is warmer and drier than other areas of the yard. It doesn't even get a load of snow on it in the winter.

Anyhow, I did put a sand box in the run and have to keep buying more sand. I also toss in some DE just for good measure.

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Dusting bath!

Mine don't dig holes, but they sure make a mess of my gardens [​IMG]

5. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

dust bath! so fun to watch!

6. LisaCammie

LisaCammie Out Of The Brooder

Quote:What kind of sand do you use. I dug a hole where my girls started a pit and then added top soil to it. They seem to like it but the top soil is rather heavy (moist, I guess) and my white hen looks a mess when she's finished. Should the sand be mixed with the soil or just straight sand?

7. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    I use play sand. I put it in a spot that is covered so it does not get wet. Sometimes after dusting they lay so still and awkward looking that you would think they were dead. Gloria Jean

8. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Quote:I remember watching my first communal dust bath and then coming back an hour later to find all of my chickens sprawled about looking very dead... Took a picture and sent it to my mom she called me right away thinking something had killed my poor birds. Funny stuff.

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh yes, that's dust-bathing. They love it. Mine have dug little fox holes all over the yard, some of them deep enough to contain their whole bodies, and they pop their heads up to look out sometimes. Makes me think of Whack-A-Mole, only without moles and no whacking!

Here is my Garden O' Poultry with a new crop of chooks just sprouting. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  10. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Quote:That is one beautiful chicken! [​IMG] May I ask what breed he/she is?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by