What are my new chickens.. and are they both hens???

Quote:
I find my adult polish lay 1 egg every 2 days, you may get them lay an egg a day for a few days, but generally 1 every 2 days, which is fab, as they are only ornamental birds.. I have heard some people say they are bad layers but I have not had that problem.

Quote:
Oh I really hope so, I really want them to be girls
fl.gif

Quote:
I find my adult polish lay 1 egg every 2 days, you may get them lay an egg a day for a few days, but generally 1 every 2 days, which is fab, as they are only ornamental birds.. I have heard some people say they are bad layers but I have not had that problem.

Thats pretty good, quite like the silkies really!

Quote:

Thats pretty good, quite like the silkies really!

How often do silkies lay??

Not every day but like you said sometimes they can lay a few days in a row! To be honest i have forgotten as both girls were broody at the same, shared the eggs and now sharing the chicks
roll.png
which means they are both not laying.!!

Quote:
They sound just what I need, would be better than using the incubator, and paying the cost of the heat lamp.. works out rather expensive that way.. I need some silkie hens lol

I would say you do, it is SO much easier doing it with broodies, i have done both ways and the cleaning out and keeping the chicks warm is a pain, mum does it so much better!

Quote:
I agree, but its so hard getting silkie hens, easier getting hatching eggs, but I dont want any cockerals
sad.png

I know and they are very hard to sex!! Normally you only know when they lay or crow!! I am sure other people can tell sooner, i am just not very good at it!
It is hard to get silkie hens, i don't know anywhere up here either, i had to hatch eggs but luckily i have a friend who wanted silkies too. We ended up with 4 boys but i also knew a few other people who wanted silkies so we gave them a boy and a girl to help them get started!! That was last year, this year i only have 4 pure silkie chicks and don't know what they are.

Quote:
They are the hardest to sex, Polish can be hard sometimes, I have been dupped a few times, I have someone collecting 5 young cockerals I hatched out, I am keeping the 4 hens (I think they are hens, but knowing my luck they will suddenly start growing in saddle feathers and crow lol)

Back
Top Bottom