What are my quail laying?

pdxfarmer

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 20, 2012
So my quail have started laying today! Hatched out 19 Coturnix Quail, this is our first time around the block with quail (we're raising for eggs primarily, but meat to follow). I've had them on Payback Game/Turkey Starter (non-medicated) from hatch till today. So this brings me to my question, what are they laying?

So what do you feed your laying Quail? I've read lots of different info all over the place. I've read people just feeding them layer feed, others feeding them full turkey feed. We'd like to try and feed them as close to organic/avoid the gmo bit if possible, but I'm open to everyone's feedback.

I want to make sure I'm giving them good food for the sake of good food for my wife and kids.
Many Thanks
pdxfarmer

I am continue feed my with 28% non medicated game bird and mix about 1/4 of chicken crumble layer feed. You can also add oyster shell separated if need.

Last edited:
I am continue feed my with 28% non medicated game bird and mix about 1/4 of chicken crumble layer feed.  You can also add oyster shell separated if need.

Thanks! like chickens do they know when they need the extra calcium?

I'm not sure if regular layer feed would have enough protein. Cots really need at least 20% protein bare minimum, and most layer feeds that I've seen are at 16%. I would just stick with the turkey starter.

ETA: you could mix it in like Speedy is doing, but I wouldn't replace it altogether.

Last edited:
A lot of people here will say GBS from "hatch to dispatch." I use Gamebird Layer (Purina Gamebird Layena 20% protein) for my breeders and layers. It has higher calcium since supplementing with oyster shell isn't very feasible for me. I only have one feed store near me and they often run out of gamebird food (all types) or they give my husband the wrong Layer and will give us Chicken Layer or Flock Raiser (instead of GBS). I will use them if I have to (better the wrong stuff than NO food), but I do notice a difference in the birds 1-2 weeks later.

Back
Top Bottom