What are my RIR?? PICS!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 14chickmama, Mar 10, 2011.

1. 14chickmama

14chickmama Chirping

Jan 6, 2011
    Which one is my rooster? Dont know if you can tell this early but here i go!! lol They are A week and a half old. I ordered 1 rooster and 1 hen RIR Ill go take better pics of them if i need to!!!

This one has a different color beak.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This one has markings on its back and head
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  2. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Crowing

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    I think the first one is your roo. Bigger feet, stands taller, and has no tail. That's how my roo started.

3. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Songster

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    first one is the roo! congrats!

4. steffpeck

steffpeck Songster

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    I agree. #1 is your roo, look at how his feathers are almost all the same length (this usually is roo feathering), compared to the 2nd chick where the feathers are in different layers, I call them Angel Wings, because they remind me of them, and this type of feathering usually is pullet feathering. I do think that there are a few breeds that this does not work on, but generally, when I sex based off the feathering this way, I have gotten them right.

5. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Songster

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    Looks just like my little RIR! I really need to post pics of my little ones....I'm a first timer and am afraid ALL of my bunch will turn out as ROOS!!!! 1 of each...RIR, Americauna, BO, BR, White Rock, Leghorn...and I can't tell which white one is which....bantam silkie, bantam frizzle cochin that is not frizzling!!!!

6. 14chickmama

14chickmama Chirping

Jan 6, 2011
    Thank u!!! I thought the other one was the roo but I don't know what I'm talking about. Lol. Good to know!! Well then my Roos name is Landon and the rir hen is willow. I also have 4 black australorps 4 buff orpingtons and 5 yellow ones with grey feathers coming out I dint know what they are. so I still have to name all of those ones!! Fun!! There staring to get very friendly ever since I gave them a hard boiled egg this morning!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: