What are people's chicken color preferences?

I have been more clingy on natural wild color. That why I am so drawn with EE. They can come in with many colors. I love EE with gold wild like color patterns. I think that why I am so drawn with Welsummers and Partridge Penedesenca as well.

I like lacing pattern. Sebright bantam really perfect the lacing pattern than any other breeds. They have remain my favorite bantam breed for their lacing pattern.
Sebrights are just YES-so beautiful. So tiny as well.

I like the solid sparkling white of my leghorns; they look like giant white doves fluttering about when excited. But I don't like the white on my silkies; maybe because the feathers are different they always seem dingy .
I also like the partridge color pattern.

I really like my paint silkie and the spangled pattern on my orloffs. for chickens I don't own, I like silver laced wyandottes, but I've read that they don't always have the best personalities, so I can't see myself owning one of those... I've also come across some fabulous looking easter eggers on BYC... I also have EEs but they're wheaten and very boring looking IMO. pattern/colors I'm *not* a fan of, are: buff, barred, cuckoo and golden.

I don't know about you, but when I'm looking at chickens I definitely prefer some colors over others. I think that I might be alone in not liking the color buff: everyone else seems to like it but I just don't really like the orangey color. Same goes with dogs and cats, I'd rather have a not orange one over an orange one. I really like the colors white, blue, and lavender, and I also really like chickens with black and white color patterns, like delawares and light brahmas. Close runner up for me is splash pattern, especially when it's black and white splash.
I don't like the buff color either, the only reddish chicken breed I like are Welsummer (with a strong salmon breast and a dark brown/black-ish tail) and some reddish creles like Bielefelders.

I'm a big fan of pattern over individual colors for the most part. Love splash and mottled patterns in all colors save for reds...... and super dooper love double-laced feather patterns, pencilling too and lemon (and silver) colors and patterns. Golden and Silver Deathlayers are very pleasing to my eyes, especially with the black doll eyes (which I am also a fan of). If someone with greater drive than me could come up with a Lemon Deathlayer patterned bird (forgetting the pencilling term for it right now) / Black eyed bird with a green egg that has exaggerated large speckles, I'll give you buckets of money 😍 :lol:

I love little black and white chicks and grey ones so I've ended up with mostly that color in my flock lol but I really love mille fleur. I have a couple cochins in that color and theyer so pretty. Idk what you call a flower hen but I love their coloring too!
Amen to all that! I have all those and they are gorgeous- gorgalicious is my invented word for them. Here’s my flock of nine. Three Swedish Flower hens, three Cream Legbars, and three Black: Lavender Orpingtons. Do y’all think those top three Swedish Flower hens came from the same parents? I don’t know much about breeding so that’s why I am asking. I do know that the barred are different than the speckled though enough to know that they would have to have different backgrounds in their parenting.

Attachments

• 089C0CFB-2C5A-4CB5-A34E-7E42376B1343.jpeg
    089C0CFB-2C5A-4CB5-A34E-7E42376B1343.jpeg
    971.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 2B8F4914-447D-487F-AB89-B40DB1168E8B.jpeg
    2B8F4914-447D-487F-AB89-B40DB1168E8B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • 78338F65-28A1-4E65-AFE2-16076B9C955A.jpeg
    78338F65-28A1-4E65-AFE2-16076B9C955A.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • F9EB3EC7-2D13-4A03-A490-61D68E22D35F.jpeg
    F9EB3EC7-2D13-4A03-A490-61D68E22D35F.jpeg
    942.4 KB · Views: 5
  • B171CD29-909E-4018-A126-18663E18D623.jpeg
    B171CD29-909E-4018-A126-18663E18D623.jpeg
    946.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 4FB008AE-2200-4877-A6D5-E5C8EBF7C8AC.jpeg
    4FB008AE-2200-4877-A6D5-E5C8EBF7C8AC.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 5
Do y’all think those top three Swedish Flower hens came from the same parents? I don’t know much about breeding so that’s why I am asking.

Depending on the parents--maybe yes.

I do know that the barred are different than the speckled though enough to know that they would have to have different backgrounds in their parenting.

Barring caused by the sexlinked barring gene, and speckled is caused by the mottling gene. It is quite possible to have them in the same bird. It's even possible to have a pair of chickens such that some of their offspring are barred, some speckled, some both, and some neither.

Back
Top Bottom