What are Shaver Black Sex Links?

pearlgirl

Hatching
9 Years
Jan 26, 2010
West Michigan
Our local hatchery is selling Shaver Black Sex Links. I have read about just Black Sex Links, how are the Shaver different? Has anyone had these that could tell me if they are recommendable?

Thanks!

It's just like a brand name for Black Sexlinks, the Shavers should be higher producers selectively breed from the most productive stock, they were probably mainly created for the commercial egg market. What hatchery is selling them?

i have 12 birds that are black stars .. 2 roos 10 hens...
but what i want to know is how you tell what the babies are ..
i was told you can tell from hatching which they are by there feathers male or female

any info will help

000_1217.jpg
roo

000_1216.jpg
some of the hens

Quote:
Are you talking about actuall black sexlink chicks, or chicks hatched from your black sexlink hens?

It only works in the inital cross of a nonbarred (usuall a RIR) roo on Barred Rock hens. That is the cross that produces sexlinks, the hens will be solid black with maybe a red face and the roos will be greysish barred color with white head spots. Roos will grow up to be barred and hens will grow up to be black with red like the ones you have pictured. And that is where the sexlinkage ends, you CAN NOT get sexlinked chicks again from breeding you black sexlink hens.

Here are some pics of black sexlinks that I bred using a Buff Orpinton Rooster with Barred Rock hens. In these, since I used a buff rooster, the hens have more gold and they would have from a RIR rooster.

Pullets are gold and black, roos are silver and black.
37373_chicks_044.jpg

37373_chicks_050.jpg

37373_100_4367.jpg

37373_100_4370.jpg

37373_100_5227.jpg

37373_100_5224.jpg

Back
Top Bottom