What are signs a rooster needs to be separated from his flock?

ChikaChika2019

Hatching
Mar 29, 2020
Rooster has gotten extra rowdy this spring. I've noticed the hens are starting to look a bit more frazzled with feathers ruffled, sticking out and falling out and one of the chickens especially looks a little worse for the wear with a bare spot starting on her back. At what point should I intervene and separate the rooster from the hens to give them a break? Should I take him away from all of them or just take the one that looks like she's getting it the worst out for some alone time? They free range most of the day so I'm not sure how that would work separating them and if it would add extra anxiety instead of improving things. We also just lost a hen so that's one less hen for him. Any advice is appreciated.

Frazzled feathers? I'll attempt to capture some of that later today/tomorrow morning. They're free range so it may prove difficult until they're back in their run. Are you thinking it could be something else besides the rooster?

If your hen is loosing feathers on her back ( closer to her tail ) it's most likely the rooster. It's pretty common for roosters to have a favorite hen. Removing the hen could just cause him to find a new favorite. If the hens not acting stressed or bleeding you might just leave them alone, if the situation gets worse removing him would be your best option. But removing him means he can't free range with the girls or you will solve nothing. Chicken 'love' always seems to pick up in the spring but usually calms down after a couple of months, but not always.
You didn't say how many hens you have but I try to have at least 8-10 hens per rooster this helps to spread his attention around a bit but they still may have favorites. Bottom line it's a judgment call try some thing if it works great if not try something else. Sorry I can't give you an exact answer but that's the type of thing that comes with keeping chickens.

If you are sure they aren't molting, feather loss is worst on back of head/neck and lower back near the tail, then the rooster may be a little rough, but that's the nature of keeping a rooster.

Adding hens to divide his attention may help. Solitary confinement will solve one problem but won't be much fun for the little buckaroo.

Why do you have a rooster? Do you hatch out eggs? If not, you can always eat him and solve the problem forever, or replace him. Roosters are a dime a dozen. I have 9 cockerels that I cant find the time to harvest. I'll sell ya one. ;)

Could be the rooster being rough or his favorite.....
..or could be that bird has weak/brittle feathers that are more prone to breaking.

If you are sure they aren't molting, feather loss is worst on back of head/neck and lower back near the tail, then the rooster may be a little rough, but that's the nature of keeping a rooster.

Adding hens to divide his attention may help. Solitary confinement will solve one problem but won't be much fun for the little buckaroo.

Why do you have a rooster? Do you hatch out eggs? If not, you can always eat him and solve the problem forever, or replace him. Roosters are a dime a dozen. I have 9 cockerels that I cant find the time to harvest. I'll sell ya one. ;)
If your hen is loosing feathers on her back ( closer to her tail ) it's most likely the rooster. It's pretty common for roosters to have a favorite hen. Removing the hen could just cause him to find a new favorite. If the hens not acting stressed or bleeding you might just leave them alone, if the situation gets worse removing him would be your best option. But removing him means he can't free range with the girls or you will solve nothing. Chicken 'love' always seems to pick up in the spring but usually calms down after a couple of months, but not always.
You didn't say how many hens you have but I try to have at least 8-10 hens per rooster this helps to spread his attention around a bit but they still may have favorites. Bottom line it's a judgment call try some thing if it works great if not try something else. Sorry I can't give you an exact answer but that's the type of thing that comes with keeping chickens.
Thank you for this response. It's mostly one chicken that looks like shes losing the most feathers. We started with 7 hens and the rooster last fall and have since lost 2 hens, one just this week. We're getting 13 chicks this week so hopefully in a few months we can either replace him or add more hens for him. Generally, he seems like a good rooster and I don't see him singling that chicken out more than the others really, so it may be something else going on with her feathers too. I keep forgetting to bring my phone out to snap a photo, hopefully I can get one today.

We have a rooster because he came with the girls when we got them all as adolescents last fall. He has grown into his role pretty decently and only this spring did he start being more protective of them and aggressive towards humans. They free range and there are a lot of hawks around here always eyeing the chickens. He is very protective of them and I have no doubt he would go down fighting for any of them. I just want to make sure he isn't doing more damage than good. We are already looking to replace him and if you lived nearby I'd totally consider getting one from you! Hopefully we can get at least one good replacement from this next batch of babies we'll be getting this week. And yes, eventually, I do watch to hatch our own.

Back
Top Bottom