What Are Some Breeds That You Enjoy Showing?

Whatever you get, I'd recommend not starting with a white one. They can be difficult to get clean enough to show. I started with d'uccles but now prefer clean legged birds. The foot feathers are one more thing to worry about. With my job hours, I also didn't want one that needed to be blown dry. I now show modern and old english game bantams. Show prep is easier and I enjoy those breeds.

Whatever you get, I'd recommend not starting with a white one. They can be difficult to get clean enough to show. I started with d'uccles but now prefer clean legged birds. The foot feathers are one more thing to worry about. With my job hours, I also didn't want one that needed to be blown dry. I now show modern and old english game bantams. Show prep is easier and I enjoy those breeds.

Thank you. :) I have lots of extra time so I am committed to getting the birds in tip-top condition before a show. Not to mention, my goats are all white with limited brown on their faces, so I know what it's like to get a white animal ready for show! :) It seems lots of people show MG and OEG, but I'm just not sure it's a breed that grabs my attention.....

And also, another question. :) Do any of you have experience with Ameracuanas? I've thought of them as another possibility for me to show, but know almost nothing about them. The only thing I know about Ameraucanas are they are NOT Easter Eggers. I do know lots about Easter Eggers, but I'm pretty sure there's not much in common between the two breeds and I know Easter Eggers aren't even show quality anyways. So, anyone got tips/info on Ameracuanas? If I were to get them I do know the "looks" difference between Ameracuanas and EE's, so it's not a concern that I would accidentally get EE's instead of Ameracuanas. I also know Ameracuanas are normally very expensive, but I'm willing to spend the money IF they are a breed I want. Just wanted to know y'alls thoughts on Ameracuanas, so any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Thank you.
smile.png
I have lots of extra time so I am committed to getting the birds in tip-top condition before a show. Not to mention, my goats are all white with limited brown on their faces, so I know what it's like to get a white animal ready for show!
smile.png
It seems lots of people show MG and OEG, but I'm just not sure it's a breed that grabs my attention.....

And also, another question.
smile.png
Do any of you have experience with Ameracuanas? I've thought of them as another possibility for me to show, but know almost nothing about them. The only thing I know about Ameraucanas are they are NOT Easter Eggers. I do know lots about Easter Eggers, but I'm pretty sure there's not much in common between the two breeds and I know Easter Eggers aren't even show quality anyways. So, anyone got tips/info on Ameracuanas? If I were to get them I do know the "looks" difference between Ameracuanas and EE's, so it's not a concern that I would accidentally get EE's instead of Ameracuanas. I also know Ameracuanas are normally very expensive, but I'm willing to spend the money IF they are a breed I want. Just wanted to know y'alls thoughts on Ameracuanas, so any help is appreciated! Thanks!

The only assured way to buy good stock and be confident that the chicks you're buying are truly standard bred, not EE's is to buy from a well respected breeder. In 10 days, the Ohio National will be held in Columbus and almost 7000 birds will be cooped in for exhibition and judging. Some of the finest examples will be on display and most of the top breeders will be there to meet with and talk. This is the value of a major poultry show for those looking to get started or to advance in the hobby. There is no better place than at a major exhibition.

But here's the thing. While 7000 birds will be shown it is likely that twice that number will be sold, both pre-arranged sales and exchanges in the parking lot and down on the sales floor.

More can be accomplished in a few hours buying top birds at a major show than could be done in a year struggling to find, ship or pickup birds.

The only assured way to buy good stock and be confident that the chicks you're buying are truly standard bred, not EE's is to buy from a well respected breeder.  In 10 days, the Ohio National will be held in Columbus and almost 7000 birds will be cooped in for exhibition and judging. Some of the finest examples will be on display and most of the top breeders will be there to meet with and talk.  This is the value of a major poultry show for those looking to get started or to advance in the hobby.   There is no better place than at a major exhibition.

But here's the thing.  While 7000 birds will be shown it is likely that twice that number will be sold, both pre-arranged sales and exchanges in the parking lot and down on the sales floor.   

More can be accomplished in a few hours buying top birds at a major show than could be done in a year struggling to find, ship or pickup birds.

Thanks! So, are you saying that there will most likely be show quality Ameracuanas at the show to buy?

Thanks! So, are you saying that there will most likely be show quality Ameracuanas at the show to buy?

Much more importantly? There will be breeder quality birds to buy, for sure. "Show Quality" is a largely misunderstood and misused term.
big_smile.png

Get there early. Good birds go fast. Know exactly what you're looking for. Know the standard stone cold. Know the quality of the breeder as well.

Much more importantly?  There will be breeder quality birds to buy, for sure.  "Show Quality" is a largely misunderstood and misused term. :D

Get there early.  Good birds go fast.  Know exactly what you're looking for.  Know the standard stone cold.  Know the quality of the breeder as well.

Oh okay, thank you, I inderstand now. :) Thank you for your help!

Back
Top Bottom