What are some causes of late embryonic death?

shelleyd2008

the bird is the word
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Adair Co., KY
I have 2 chicken eggs due Monday, and 1 guinea egg due the following Monday. All of them look like they are dead! The chicken eggs look like they made it to avout day 12-14. I am not sure about the guinea egg, but I don't see any veins, it is pretty dark. What are some causes of this?

So sorry to hear!
sad.png
Theres alot of sites that troubleshoot chick mortality at different stages. Good luck.

At this point in time you probably won't see much in the chicken eggs since the chicks are pretty much full term. It's hard sometimes to see any veins since the chick is taking up so much space. Is that the only reason you think they're dead?

No they should be hatching in 3 days, but they are only taking up about half the space in the shell. There is quite a lot of clear space left in the egg. And I don't see any veins in the chicken eggs. I have hatched 3 x's before, and the first two did fairly well. After removing clear eggs, my first hatch had 13 eggs, 12 of which hatched, and the 2nd had 6 eggs, 5 of which hatched. The last one only had one egg that wasn't clear, and it was full term, but did not hatch.

Anyone else? I just set 17 cortunix eggs in my bator today, and 20 button eggs are going in probably tomorrow. I would like to know if it is something I am doing wrong? These are both shipped eggs, and I really don't want to waste my money for nothing!

Unfortunately, this sort of thing happens to shipped eggs. I've had a LOT of shipped eggs that made it to various ages before giving up... sometimes even after they went into the hatcher. If the airsac is disrupted, it can cause the embryos to die off before their time. I've found that I've had better luck with the quail eggs, but I still have full-term quitters. I've tried to figure it out, but the only thing I've come up with is that shipping can scramble them sometimes, and even though they start to develop, the integrity of the egg cannot maintain the chick all the way to hatch. You just have to keep trying.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom