What are some good (and docile) brown egg layers?

Quote:
I believe the OP has already considered Speckled Sussex for the brown egg part of the rainbow carton and I and a few others said that, from my experience, I wouldn't call the SS eggs brown, they are a light cream color - very light brown.

I have buff orpingtons, barred rocks, and sex links. They are all really sweet, but the BO and BR are by far the sweetest!

Quote:
You are not going to get your answer here.
big_smile.png
Too many people here on BYC to give you THEIR opinion. Out of my mixed flock (brown egg layeres) of RIR, BO, Austrolorps the Aussies are more docile. That is my opinion. Good luck. May need to have a poll.
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
barred rocks are the probably your best bet

20950_p1070077.jpg

really docile

20950_p1080215.jpg

and they lay with the best of them

20950_p1080222.jpg

any of your pylmouth rocks would be a pretty good choice

Even within a breed some hens lay darker than others. My barreds lay a light to medium brown egg. My partridge rocks slightly lighter, except for a couple who lay darker. My blue rock a medium brown egg. My Delawares lay a brown pink egg, some lighter some quite dark. Answer it varies HIGHLY dependent on your stock lines. Some dels will lay a speckled egg.

If you want a truer dark, cuckoo marans often through a nice even brown egg. Then many others do lay the near chocolate egg they're famous for, and everywhere in between.

Get photos of the eggs someone is getting from any specific hens they have. A parent's egg, even the egg the rooster came out of help predict the next generation's color ability. A roo from a nearly white egg isn't going to help produce good egg color in his offspring. I only hatch the darker eggs here and it's helped a lot in two generations.

I like the rainbow egg thing too and am getting set up to add a few colored eggers here as well. Was considering pure white layers too just for the comparison thingy.

What colors are you shooting for? White, blue, pink, brown, green, speckled, terra cotta, chocolate?

Back
Top Bottom