What are some good ideas on trying to battle predators?

Burger Bob

In the Brooder
May 18, 2016
18080 Hwy. 40 Loranger, LA 70446
Can anyone suggest some good ideas on battling predators? I have heard of hanging pie tins in the trees for the hawks during the day, and I know at night, getting your flock into an enclosed coop is probably the best thing. What about scarecrows also during the day, and motion detector lights at night. My birds do free range during the day.

I also read that hawks and birds of prey are scared of a crow. I was thinking about putting some black crows on the fencing all around the free range area. And also they are scared of owls to. But I read just like the pie tins, the scarecrows and the black crows is that you have to move them around every so often so the hawks don't get complacent with them staying in the same place at all times.

Sorry for the loss of your step mom.

It does sound like good, exciting changes are coming your way, though. Congrats on taking over the farm. It should be very exciting to learn everything your dad has learned and can pass on to you now. Good luck and happy farming.

Scarecrows are a good idea. Try getting an owl for the hawks and a night guard would be good. Ive heard of people that put radios at night in the coop so predators think its a person.

Yeah I was thinking really hard of making about 3 scarecrows for the animal yard where they free range for the daytime and also using 1 or 2 of them for my garden. The coop is built to where nothing can get in or out, that's why I was thinking along the lines of motion detector lights. But I can also hook up a radio under the shelter also to scare off the bobcats and coons and possums and the such. That's a great idea!!

Well, I have plenty of real crows around here and they will chase hawks off. However, I lost a duck the other night. Apparently, owls aren't afraid of crows.

Yeah, I think it was evening. This particular duck had gone broody under a huge spreading juniper bush and was not going in the coop at night. I had another duck successfully hatch a brood this way, but not this one. Actually, come to think of it, I've never lost a Khaki Campbell to a predator. The unlucky ones have been Cayugas. I don't think they are as "predator-aware" as the Khakis, plus they are heavier and slower. My Khakis are "wild things", not tame at all, but due to their excellent egg laying and the low predation rate of them, they are keepers around here.

My dad had a few peking, and at least 20 mallards. But once my step-mom passed away in December he lost interest in all of his live stock. He actually had 150 birds including turkeys, chickens and ducks. They where all killed by some predator, but he wasn't spending time out there and wasn't really interested. But I can't blame him at all. I now have the chance not only to garden a huge plot, but also raise some brand new birds as well as rabbits. He does have one goat but I plan on buying a dairy goat because he likes his milk and it will be an ongoing learning process for me. I am really wanting to create a fodder feeding system to supplement the high cost of feed and provide good quality fodder with good nutrients for all the animals. I am very excited to embark on this journey and learn from him so I can further my education on farming animals, selling produce at the markets and selling my eggs of course. I have to take certain classes on all of these things in Louisiana to learn the laws and such. It will be hard work on me, but it is a turning point in my life and my father is 77 years young so he can teach me a lot of good things that he has knowledge on.

Back
Top Bottom