1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What are some Humane ways to put birds down, and organic / sustainable / sensible waste management o

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mountain Wampus, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Mountain Wampus

Mountain Wampus Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2013
    I'm getting back into chickens / ducks for meat / eggs / pets / organic pest control and fertilizers! lol

I remember how my dad used to put birds down, but that was a long time ago. How do many of you deal w harvesting your birds and the clean up afterwards?

Thanks,
    "The Elusive" Mountain Wampus

2. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I recommend getting an orange traffic cone and cutting the small end off. Fasten the cone to a stump or fence post. Put the chicken in the cone head down with the head sticking out. Slit the throat.

Chickens become calm when held upside down like that. And there's no thrashing or running around afterwards. Also, the cutting the throat (or lop the head off, but that's harder) is supposed to be the least traumatic for the chicken.

Just don't let the OTHER chickens see you kill one. It totally stresses them out.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by