What are some of the LEAST aggressive breeds of roosters???

Quote:
I have a black AM that hasn't figured out how to approach the girls and he's starting to get to where he wants to challenge me. I hope it's because he's young cause he's beautiful, but he's nothing like my Marans or Pene. My white silkie roos are nut cases, but my little black one is fine. Clyde (AM) doesn't mello out he's gonna be on my booboo list.

Used to have a gorgeous EE roo. Satan in feathers!

Last edited:
Can't believe the SDWD hasn't chimed in on this thread yet... so here goes: Delawares!

We started with 12 cockerels this spring, including 6 Dels, 2 Sussex, 2 BO, 1 NH, and 1 Partidge Rock. We kept the PR and one of the Dels. None of them actually ever showed any aggression towards us, though the NH was getting a little shirty. As they started maturing, we watched their behavior and pulled out those that were mean to the pullets; so the two we kept are the mildest-mannered of the bunch. The Rock (Chester) is okay with us, but not otherwise a particularly good roo. Rexx the Delaware, on the other hand, is very good; he has taken ownership of the flock and is constantly on guard, sounding the alarm whenever a chicken-hawk appears, etc. Super-nice to the hens, always dances before mounting them, and if they turn away instead of squatting he leaves them alone. (Chester will just run up and grab them from behind, and won't let go even if they start screaming, until Rexx comes over and smacks him.)

Rexx has that famous Delaware personality, quite a friendly guy for a rooster, and super-protective of his flock. We're careful not to act like roosters, and we don't handle the hens, so he's never come at us. But whenever we come into the chicken yard, he's always right there watching us, and if we tried to pick up a squawking hen, I'm not sure how he'd behave.

I'll echo a comment from up-thread: Get several cockerels, and keep the best one. All breeds have good and bad individuals.

My silkie who passed away yesterday rip pumpernickel was mean he would stack anyone me and my mom both got spurred multiple times it might have just been a fluke but I have heard of that happening to other people with silkies

My experience is limited to this year and my first chickens.

I have had RIR, BR and BO and one, now three LF Cochin Roosters.

RIR's had to go....mean and agressive.

The BO has never sidestepped me or acted aggressive. He did beat up the other roosters and that is the reason for new coops and runs....lol.

The BR has been aggressive and I have always carried a broom in there and I have had to 'dispatch' him to the other side of the run once. I don't think he is done with me and I am not done with him.....

The Cochin....harms none. He skittles away if you get close. He is sweet to his two girls. They are very slow to mature and he was the bottom of the pecking order while still with the main flock. My goal is a new coop for him and his girls and more LF Cochins.

That's all I got!
what breed is a BO?

My experience is limited to this year and my first chickens.

I have had RIR, BR and BO and one, now three LF Cochin Roosters.

RIR's had to go....mean and agressive.

The BO has never sidestepped me or acted aggressive. He did beat up the other roosters and that is the reason for new coops and runs....lol.

The BR has been aggressive and I have always carried a broom in there and I have had to 'dispatch' him to the other side of the run once. I don't think he is done with me and I am not done with him.....

The Cochin....harms none. He skittles away if you get close. He is sweet to his two girls. They are very slow to mature and he was the bottom of the pecking order while still with the main flock. My goal is a new coop for him and his girls and more LF Cochins.

That's all I got!
what breed is a BO?

Back
Top Bottom