What are some quiet small female ducks?

WilliamH

Chirping
Mar 23, 2020
I know that female call ducks are loud. What are some small quiet female ducks and can breed with call ducks?

quiet duck is a bit of an oxymoron. Individual birds can have a personality that lends to being more quiet than others but ducks as a species are pretty raucous animals. There's no guarantee you wont get a weirdo who screams all the time at nothing.

Male ducks tend to be quieter than females, they don't do the signature "quack". They wont be completely silent, but they're quietER usually. If you went that route you'd want an all-male flock though, no mating potential.

Muscovies are pretty quiet birds but they're not the same as mallard-derived breeds. The offspring of a muscovy and mallard breed will be infertile, so they're generally only used for meat, and muscovies would really prefer to keep to themselves as they dont even use the same "language" as mallards.

I hear Saxonies are very quiet, relatively speaking. Mine is just 8 weeks old, but so far, that's been true for me. She makes zero noise. But she's gonna be big!

quiet duck is a bit of an oxymoron. Individual birds can have a personality that lends to being more quiet than others but ducks as a species are pretty raucous animals. There's no guarantee you wont get a weirdo who screams all the time at nothing.

Male ducks tend to be quieter than females, they don't do the signature "quack". They wont be completely silent, but they're quietER usually. If you went that route you'd want an all-male flock though, no mating potential.

Muscovies are pretty quiet birds but they're not the same as mallard-derived breeds. The offspring of a muscovy and mallard breed will be infertile, so they're generally only used for meat, and muscovies would really prefer to keep to themselves as they dont even use the same "language" as mallards.
Would you say female mallard is quieter than a female call duck?

I hear Saxonies are very quiet, relatively speaking. Mine is just 8 weeks old, but so far, that's been true for me. She makes zero noise. But she's gonna be big!
I had two pekins that were remarkably quiet considering their potential, but I got them as day-olds and they imprinted on me and lived in a wire enclosure in my kitchen so they were constantly in sight of humans and didnt fuss a whole lot during the day, they were just pleased to have company. When it came time to shut them in for the night and I left the room, they demonstrated their incredible ability to shout. I suppose they werent quiet so much as not very talkative - when they had something to say they could definitely make themselves heard, you'd think an axe murderer was after them when all I did was step into another room.

Would you say female mallard is quieter than a female call duck?
I used "mallard" when I really meant any breed that is a mallard derivative (which is most of your common north american domestics - pekins, cayugas, appleyards, runners, saxony, rouens, etc they all come from once upon a time when a wild mallard mated with something else)

Calls are specifically a breed for calling - they are intentionally noisy ducks so basically any other breed has the potential to be quieter. I dont know that any particular breed is known for being quiet though, its usually more along the lines of individual personalities and maybe environment it lives in than breed genetics

The only breed of domestic duck that is quiet are Muscovy, every other breed it really just depends on your individual duck. Muscovy can mate with call ducks, but the Males will be MUCH to big to do so, and if your male calls mate with the female Muscovy it will make mule ducklings which are sterile and cannot lay fertile eggs.

From what I have read, male call ducks have a hard time breeding with other ducks. They are so small and can't get into position. Not to say they don't try. I think you would need a breed like a mallard, maybe a runner. Someone who has call ducks would be able to tell you more.

Lol, yes a quiet duck is an oxymoron! I have that weirdo who screams all the time at nothing. I used to have two. *grumble* and they are breeds that some members claim are quieter!

Back
Top Bottom