What are symptoms of heat stress?

lieselanne

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 12, 2011
This morning my Barred Rock came out of the coop and proceeded to lay a green, watery poop. I kind of freaked out because I had just been researching chicken diseases and remembered reading about green, watery poops. I ran back up to the house to find the chart I'd been reading. You can see it here.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

The Barred Rock also has clear fluid coming out of her nostrils and last night had labored breathing. I was worried it might be Newcastle and asked my fiance to come with me to check the birds out. He said that since the Rock doesn't seem to feel badly (she's pretty perky, despite the temperature) and since it's been nearly 100 degrees all week, she might just be showing symptoms of heat stress. I've tried to find a good page that indicates what those symptoms might be. Does anyone know if clear fluid from the nostrils and green, watery poop could be due to heat?

Thank you! I will get her some antibiotics as quickly as I can. Do you recommend treating the entire flock since they've most likely been exposed, or should I wait for symptoms in them to show up?

I'm not sure what you are dealing with. Usually bacterial infections have yellowish liquid, not clear. I don't like dosing healthy chickens with antibiotics when the one affected chicken might not have a respiratory disease. Keep an eye on things. Pay attention to other signs. Is her crop full, empty or feels like a water balloon? Is she walking or immobile? Are her eyes clear or gunky? Separate her from the healthy birds. If it's infectious, you'll know soon enough.

Back
Top Bottom