What are the 3 best homesteading chicken breeds?

BarredBuff

Songster
10 Years
Dec 6, 2009
What are the 3 best homesteading chicken breeds? That are broody, excellent layers, excellent foragers, and just the right size to eat.

buckeye
wyandotte
plymouth rocks
punky
big_smile.png

Hhmmmm, I guess it would a matter of opinion .... Alot would depend on where you get them (re right size to eat, broodiness, as well as egg laying capabilities --- these things are inherited).

If the go broody often, I don't see how they could be considered excellent layers though .... when broody they don't lay eggs.

Rhode Island Reds
Barred Rocks
Buckeyes
Delawares

If the go broody often, I don't see how they could be considered excellent layers though .... when broody they don't lay eggs.

For a homestead, one must get a hen that consistently goes broody at the approximate same time of the year and is a good broody and mother. This insures the reproduction of your genetics in your flock and that you can reproduce and replenish with new stock when needed.

Its one of the sacrifices one makes to egg production so that one can make even more egg laying machines!

These are my most hardy, best foragers, most consistent and long time layers, and they also go broody but not excessively.

Black Australorp~this group are now four years old and have outlasted my stringent cull system.
White Rock~3 years and going strong.
RIR or New Hampshire Red~3 years also.

Every flock I've had has BAs in it and they never let me down.

Last edited:
Quote:
I realize that. The OP asked "That are broody, excellent layers, excellent foragers, and just the right size to eat." My point is that it would be difficult to be BOTH broody and "excellent" layers.
wink.png

Quote:
I realize that. The OP asked "That are broody, excellent layers, excellent foragers, and just the right size to eat." My point is that it would be difficult to be BOTH broody and "excellent" layers.
wink.png

The way I look at it that if they are broody they will excellent layers to because they would be bringing more pullets to the flock, thus more eggs.

Quote:
Punky,
If I don't pull eggs my Reds will start setting weather it is 1 or 20 eggs..

Chris

Quote:
wink.png

The way I look at it that if they are broody they will excellent layers to because they would be bringing more pullets to the flock, thus more eggs.

EGG-zactly. It is entirely possible for a chicken to be both an excellent layer and a good broody. One goes broody for 22-30 days or so, depending on how quickly you take advantage of the situation. She hatches and cares for her brood and then goes back to being an excellent layer. One cannot discount her laying abilities because she takes a brief respite to have a family....
wink.png

I've had RIR go broody, but barring that, a combination of good layers with other breeds that lay well also and go broody when needed is the best scenario for my homestead. I can always count on a broody hen from the BA, WR, and the NHRs each year. Sometimes all at once....
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom