What are the basics for raising chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickiemom08, Apr 15, 2017.

1. chickiemom08

chickiemom08 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2017
    Our first baby hatched today. I had to assist because it was going on 48 hours with very little progress. He only lived about a hour. My step daughter said it is because I held him when I gave him water because supposedly the lady at the feed store told my husband if you handle baby chicks they will die. Someone else told me that is not true. So what are the basics and how can I keep the mortality rate down when the others hatch?

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    No. Handling a baby chick will not kill it. The fact that the chick struggled for so long to hatch is what killed it.

If you ever need to intervene again, you should do only the very minimum to get the head exposed to outside air and let the chick do the rest. Probably what that lady meant was that you shouldn't peel the entire egg and pull the chick out. Chicks need to do the work themselves.

3. chickiemom08

chickiemom08 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2017
    Thank you so much! This is a whole new experience for us. We are learning.

4. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    Here is a very detailed guide if you ever find yourself with a chick struggling to get out of an egg. I did have to help 2 out - incubator issue caused it- they both lived and are now about to start laying-- used the information in the link below. =)

It is important to read the WHOLE thing-- I would read it before the others pip.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by