What are the best breeds for a "newbie" in the suburbs?

To make things difficult for you, I'd vote for any color or size Wyandotte. Rose combs are beautiful and weather hardy. Dual purpose so easier to get rid of if you tire of chickens or have laws passed forcing issue. Lay well and can get bantams or standards. Bantams are very friendly plus don't have a tendancy to fly.

For pets, I second cochins but be prepared all summer long that they will be broody rather than laying eggs. They are beautiful, I especially am fond of the blacks.

We live in the suburbs (our lot is 100 x 55 feet with neighbors all around) and we have 6 hens. Our Ameraucana (Easter Egger) is not any more vocal than the others, really. They all have their loud moments!!!

Our favorite is our Black Australorp. She is absolutely beautiful, calm, friendly, and lays tons of lovely eggs. Australorps are descended from Orpingtons. We have: Red Sex Link (red star type), Buff Orpington, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Easter Egger ("Ameraucana" from a hatchery), Australorp, Barred Rock. We love our Wyandotte as well. Personally I think that temperament is more due to the individuals, although I understand that some breeds lean towards docileness or flightiness more than others. We picked all calm, friendly breeds.

If you haven't built your run yet, I would advise building it bigger. Your situation sounds similar to ours. We let our girls free range only when we're watching them, so maybe 2-4 hours in the summer and .5-1 hour in winter. We have 6 and our run is 66 sq feet.... and I really think that they'd be happier if it were larger (we had soem pecking issues this winter). If you get 5 standard-sized chickens your run would be just the minimum size. My guess is that you'll love them so much you'll get more next year (especially if your town does not have a limit!) and then the run will be too small.

Oh, but if you get bantams/silkies then the space is probably fine. You just won't get as big of eggs. Boy do we LOOOOVE our fresh eggs!!!

Anyway, good luck and have FUN!!!

Stacey & Olivia

Last edited:
Of all you listed I'd only consider having the black sex links in my flock. However, for suburban homesteading, I understand that the Buff Orpington is a good docile bird.

Honestly, if I had to recommend a few breeds they would be:

Rhode Island or New hampshire Red
Red or Black Sex Link
Barred Rock
Speckled Sussex

I would also recommend conisdering bantams. Not many people realize that bantams are often much more efficient as egg layers. That's why egg layer chickens are smaller than dual-the less chicken they have to support, the less they eat.

Easter eggers come in bantam size

so do cochins, obviously silkies are bantam sized
smile.png

For eggs, the easter egger bantams will be a better choice than the cochins or silkies, they are less prone to broodiness as well. All tend to be very freindly as well.

I wanted to add that Orpingtons and Wyandottes also come in bantam size! Honestly, something to consider
smile.png

And their eggs are just the same inside as large fowl eggs, you may just have to use a few more
wink.png

Last edited:
I'd just like to mention that although Buff Orpingtons are described all the time as "sweet and docile" (that's why I got mine), I didn't make my screen-name "Buff Hooligans" for nothing. I was surprised at how active, inquisitive, pushy, and bright-natured they are. From what I read, I must have thought they'd be sitting around discussing PTA meetings over chamomile tea.

Back
Top Bottom