1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What are the Best Brown Egg Layers?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by OkChickens, Jan 14, 2011.

1. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    I am looking to get a small flock of 10-15 Brown Egg Layers with a Rooster. I have RIR and Buff Orphingtons right now but I want something that will lay an egg a day for a year or 2 then hatch out their chicks. I'm wondering if Brown Leghorns, Australorps, Sex Links or any others which would be the best? I'm looking for large brown eggs. I would like a good feed conversion ratio also! Thank You!

-Nate

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    The breeds you already have and the breeds you listed are all good.

The top layers over all though are Australorps, Leghorns, and Sex Links.

3. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Sex links don't usually go broody, niether do Australorps. Good egg layers that have a good feed conversion aren't usually the broody type. Buff Orpingtons lay pretty good and are good mothers

4. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Sexlinks would probably be your best bet. And BTW Brown Leghorns lay White eggs.

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

My Black sexlinks and Buff Orpingtons were good layers, and the BO's can tend to be broody.

6. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Leghorns of any color lay white eggs.

Sex Links almost never set, but are you best layers. Just remember that sexlinks are mixed breeds and if you have chicks from them, the chicks will not match the parents.

I like australorps, but again the hatchery birds rarely set. They do have a good feed conversion rate. They are a smaller bird and do not make the best meat bird. That may not be a necessity for your future needs.

Matt

7. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    I am planning to sell hatching eggs in the spring and summer. During winter I might hatch out a few chicks but I will mainly sell eating eggs. I have White Leghorns and they are wonderful egg layers usually 8-10 eggs a day out of 11 hens! I am wanting the same for brown egg layers.

Well the problem with sexlinks are I would need a specific hens and Roosters. What makes a good sexlinks for layers. Meaning Rooster x Hen. I'm really leaning towards the Australorps. Thank you

-Nate

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I had a black sex link once that never missed a day laying an egg in 3 months.

I guess I'm going to have to get a few so that I always have eggs for the table.

9. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:Mine were Buff Orpington x Barred Rock and I looooooooved them!!! I'm brooding out a few that are RIR over Barred Rock and Cuckoo Marans girls, so I dunno how they are gonna lay yet.

10. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    My 2 Australorps and 1 Buff Orpington have been great layers. They're only about a 11 months old, and I haven't seen any real 'broodiness' yet, however I believe one of my Australorps has been picking own her tummy/thigh feathers, I don't think she's molting yet, so I'm guessing that she's starting to feel kind of nesty (if that's a word). She would still rather free range all day, than sit on eggs, so I can't testify to broodiness on either of those breeds yet, but I LOVE Australorps.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by