What are the Best Brown Egg Layers?

OkChickens

Orpingtons Are Us
9 Years
Dec 1, 2010
Owasso, Oklahoma
I am looking to get a small flock of 10-15 Brown Egg Layers with a Rooster. I have RIR and Buff Orphingtons right now but I want something that will lay an egg a day for a year or 2 then hatch out their chicks. I'm wondering if Brown Leghorns, Australorps, Sex Links or any others which would be the best? I'm looking for large brown eggs. I would like a good feed conversion ratio also! Thank You!

-Nate

The breeds you already have and the breeds you listed are all good.

The top layers over all though are Australorps, Leghorns, and Sex Links.

Sex links don't usually go broody, niether do Australorps. Good egg layers that have a good feed conversion aren't usually the broody type. Buff Orpingtons lay pretty good and are good mothers

Leghorns of any color lay white eggs.

Sex Links almost never set, but are you best layers. Just remember that sexlinks are mixed breeds and if you have chicks from them, the chicks will not match the parents.

I like australorps, but again the hatchery birds rarely set. They do have a good feed conversion rate. They are a smaller bird and do not make the best meat bird. That may not be a necessity for your future needs.

Matt

I am planning to sell hatching eggs in the spring and summer. During winter I might hatch out a few chicks but I will mainly sell eating eggs. I have White Leghorns and they are wonderful egg layers usually 8-10 eggs a day out of 11 hens! I am wanting the same for brown egg layers.

Well the problem with sexlinks are I would need a specific hens and Roosters. What makes a good sexlinks for layers. Meaning Rooster x Hen. I'm really leaning towards the Australorps. Thank you

-Nate

I had a black sex link once that never missed a day laying an egg in 3 months.

I guess I'm going to have to get a few so that I always have eggs for the table.

Quote:
Mine were Buff Orpington x Barred Rock and I looooooooved them!!! I'm brooding out a few that are RIR over Barred Rock and Cuckoo Marans girls, so I dunno how they are gonna lay yet.

My 2 Australorps and 1 Buff Orpington have been great layers. They're only about a 11 months old, and I haven't seen any real 'broodiness' yet, however I believe one of my Australorps has been picking own her tummy/thigh feathers, I don't think she's molting yet, so I'm guessing that she's starting to feel kind of nesty (if that's a word). She would still rather free range all day, than sit on eggs, so I can't testify to broodiness on either of those breeds yet, but I LOVE Australorps.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom