1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What are the chances...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Barnyard, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    that I would have 2 hens go broody within 2 weeks of each other? Sure enough I go out to the coop this morning and Mable is broody as ever. The only thing wrong with that is she is sitting on a wooden egg [​IMG] [​IMG] poor thang. So I guess I will take the next egg laid today and stick it under her little butt and see what happens!! I never thought that I would have to deal with broodiness this soon. These girls have only been laying for a month or 2 . GUess I was wrong.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Nice! You have hens that go broody in a REASONABLE time of year!!! At least it's warming up not cooling down! Don't forget to mark that egg with a pencil so you know when it is due and so nobody picks it up or it gets mixed with new ones.

3. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    So far so good. Everyone knows that we have a broody that is sitting on a nest and they don't mess with her. So far the other chickens have left her alone too.[​IMG]

I have marked the egg. I am glad she decided to lay now and not in the freezing cold.

Thanks for the advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by