What are the chances...

kyrose

Songster
10 Years
Jul 29, 2009
Melbourne,Ky.
that antibiotics will cure my hens bumblefoot? Unfortunately i didnt catch it in time and her poor foot is soooo swollen her skin is breaking open. I feel horrible. So i took her to the vets,it is to bad for me to treat,he believes in starting with a low invasive method first,so he injected her with convenia and metacam and i have to give her an oral,smz-tmp oral susp.twice a day.He wants to see her back on Mon.Im afrid i may not be able to afford the surgery,if he needs to do it.Tonights bill was 118.So i was wondering what you all think her chances are? Thanks...

Thanks,i have that thread bookmarked.lol Shes way beyond that,so im wondering what her chances are just using the antibiotics.The vet will have to do the surgery if it needs to be done..

Last edited:
I had a chicken with bumble foot that I took to the vet. He gave me a topical medication that smelled very strongly of garlic, and antibiotics.

It all helped, but it was too little too late. He determined she in pain and suffering because she was losing weight. I would watch her weight and ask about the garlic smelling medication. I think it was an antibiotic that absorbed into the skin. Did your vet show you how to wrap the foot with a donut type bandage so the chicken could walk without pressure in the center of its foot? Our chicken never stood on her bad foot, but we still wrapped it. Good luck.

no he didnt tell me to wrap it.she's not even limping.it doesnt seem to bother her at all.i think his plan is to do surgery if the antibiotics dont work.i also think its probably to late for the antibiotics but im willing to try til mon.im not thrilled about having the surgery done.she's still eating like a pig.lol

Back
Top Bottom