what are the downsides of having peacocks

Bartels42

Chirping
Aug 10, 2018
I have chickens,ducks. rabbits, turkeys, dogs, cats & Guineas...They all get along great and run the fenced in yard on what I try to make a daily. I am wanting to add peacocks in my little farm...what if any downsides ? I am not worried about noise as I love have guineas are great watch dogs and I know peacocks like to fly and roost...so I am ready for those two things...any thoughts?

Peafowl are an awesome bird to have! At 1 year old I was almost ready to give them away though, but at 2 years old I fell completely in love with my male “Aladdin”. The female “Jasmine” is very stand off-ish. She’s very broody, but hasn’t had much luck yet. She’s on her second chick for this year. It just hatched yesterday. When the spring chick died... she did come and get me to help. She actually took me straight to the baby and started the saddest call. It was dead. You have to be careful with any peafowl that you are raising around chickens. They are very susceptible to their diseases when they are under six months old. You will need to deworm your peafowl regularly. I also added cayenne pepper to their water. Down falls of owning Peacocks is that they love to sit and poop on your favorite vehicle! Their claws are sharp and they scratch the paint.
Once you get over it and surrender your vehicle to the bird... it’s really fun when they try to ride on the roof. Scratch your paint! They are the boss of the barnyard and will establish their dominance accordingly! The other animals will get use to it eventually. I did have a baby chicken killed by my peacock this spring. They do not like any new animals in their territory. Be ready for new peahens to show up when you cock starts to do his mating call. We now have 2 peahens. “Juliet” just showed up one day walking around the pond with the cheater Aladdin! Jasmine was sitting on his eggs at the time, and peacocks love to have as many hens as possible. Note that you could loose your hen the same way I gained one. Of course all my barnyard birds are completely free range. You can pen them and this solves all the problems. My roost on our house... we have plenty of better places, but they like to be on top of us. During mating seasons, which is spring and late summer, the cocks will call all night long. I happen to live the sound, but my neighbors... not so much. Now, I have guineas as well, and they are very territorial as well, and many times my husband and I have had to stop Aladdin from chasing our male guineas. Both peafowl and I understand they can cross breed in rare situations. Both guineas and peacocks are great at keeping snakes gone. That’s all I got for you.., happy birding my friend.

Peafowl are an awesome bird to have! At 1 year old I was almost ready to give them away though, but at 2 years old I fell completely in love with my male “Aladdin”. The female “Jasmine” is very stand off-ish. She’s very broody, but hasn’t had much luck yet. She’s on her second chick for this year. It just hatched yesterday. When the spring chick died... she did come and get me to help. She actually took me straight to the baby and started the saddest call. It was dead. You have to be careful with any peafowl that you are raising around chickens. They are very susceptible to their diseases when they are under six months old. You will need to deworm your peafowl regularly. I also added cayenne pepper to their water. Down falls of owning Peacocks is that they love to sit and poop on your favorite vehicle! Their claws are sharp and they scratch the paint.
Once you get over it and surrender your vehicle to the bird... it’s really fun when they try to ride on the roof. Scratch your paint! They are the boss of the barnyard and will establish their dominance accordingly! The other animals will get use to it eventually. I did have a baby chicken killed by my peacock this spring. They do not like any new animals in their territory. Be ready for new peahens to show up when you cock starts to do his mating call. We now have 2 peahens. “Juliet” just showed up one day walking around the pond with the cheater Aladdin! Jasmine was sitting on his eggs at the time, and peacocks love to have as many hens as possible. Note that you could loose your hen the same way I gained one. Of course all my barnyard birds are completely free range. You can pen them and this solves all the problems. My roost on our house... we have plenty of better places, but they like to be on top of us. During mating seasons, which is spring and late summer, the cocks will call all night long. I happen to live the sound, but my neighbors... not so much. Now, I have guineas as well, and they are very territorial as well, and many times my husband and I have had to stop Aladdin from chasing our male guineas. Both peafowl and I understand they can cross breed in rare situations. Both guineas and peacocks are great at keeping snakes gone. That’s all I got for you.., happy birding my friend.
awww!! ♡♡♡ Makes me want them all the more!!! Thank you for that info :)

23910E5A-7BC3-453D-B534-DF480AAF286B.jpeg
This is Aladdin and Jasmine at 2 years old. This spring.

do you know if there are any diseases that particularly peacocks get easily?
Worms, coccidiosis, necrotic enteritis, respiratory infections, sinus infections, E. coli, and blackhead (histomoniasis). All are treatable if caught soon enough and treated with proper medications.

Back
Top Bottom