What are the eggs supposed to be like the First Few Days/Weeks of Egg Laying?

I did that the past couple years with goose eggs from our neighbor - with the intention of painting them for Easter. Sadly my artistic skills have gotten very rusty over the years and after two bad results I decided to hang onto the rest until I get more practice on less rare surfaces :)
I noticed that we've stopped getting the no shell/soft shell eggs now and average 10/day from the 20 in our flock, but a strange new thing is happening. We were getting a blue egg every day or 2 but the last one was 4 days ago now so unless they can suddenly change their egg color one of the ladies has gone on strike! I've only actually seen one hen lay an egg, and we have a number of one of a kind birds so I can't tell who was laying the blue ones. I'm assuming it's one of the two Easter Eggers, but I saw somewhere that if an EE that lays blue eggs breeds with another variety the blue egg gene can be passed to the offspring. The blues are my favorites, followed closely by the dark speckled Welsummer eggs :)

I got my first egg from my Australorp last week Friday at 20 weeks. So tiny and perfect!! And... Nothing since 😞 She is happy and healthy, just not in any rush to try that again, I guess 🤷 Nobody else started, though one of my faverolles may be close, she's been squatting for me for over a week now (the Australorp hasn't squatted once to this day!).

Well, after 11 days we finally got another blue egg from our EE, I have to say I was getting really worried but she kept eating and pooing and acting normal. I just waited and watched and figured she'd get back in the saddle when she was ready :) Tonight I checked and found a big, perfectly formed blue egg all alone in a nest box the others hadn't used. Here's hoping this continues. We're getting 10-13 eggs a day form the 20 of them now at 24 weeks, so I think they've got this egg laying business figured out.

I did that the past couple years with goose eggs from our neighbor - with the intention of painting them for Easter. Sadly my artistic skills have gotten very rusty over the years and after two bad results I decided to hang onto the rest until I get more practice on less rare surfaces :)
I noticed that we've stopped getting the no shell/soft shell eggs now and average 10/day from the 20 in our flock, but a strange new thing is happening. We were getting a blue egg every day or 2 but the last one was 4 days ago now so unless they can suddenly change their egg color one of the ladies has gone on strike! I've only actually seen one hen lay an egg, and we have a number of one of a kind birds so I can't tell who was laying the blue ones. I'm assuming it's one of the two Easter Eggers, but I saw somewhere that if an EE that lays blue eggs breeds with another variety the blue egg gene can be passed to the offspring. The blues are my favorites, followed closely by the dark speckled Welsummer eggs :)
Next breed I want is the Easter Eggers. Two of my chicks are laying and I have beautiful huge brown eggs :)

I got my first egg from my Australorp last week Friday at 20 weeks. So tiny and perfect!! And... Nothing since 😞 She is happy and healthy, just not in any rush to try that again, I guess 🤷 Nobody else started, though one of my faverolles may be close, she's been squatting for me for over a week now (the Australorp hasn't squatted once to this day!).
Yay!!! I was so excited about my first eggs. I am now up to about 15 eggs and a very reliable "egg a day"! I love it! Thanks for sharing

Well, after 11 days we finally got another blue egg from our EE, I have to say I was getting really worried but she kept eating and pooing and acting normal. I just waited and watched and figured she'd get back in the saddle when she was ready :) Tonight I checked and found a big, perfectly formed blue egg all alone in a nest box the others hadn't used. Here's hoping this continues. We're getting 10-13 eggs a day form the 20 of them now at 24 weeks, so I think they've got this egg laying business figured out.
Wow! 13 eggs a day - Wow!

Yay!!! I was so excited about my first eggs. I am now up to about 15 eggs and a very reliable "egg a day"! I love it! Thanks for sharing
I was jumping up and down and dancing around while she sang her egg song, it was quite a sight I'm sure. Hopefully the neighbors weren't home 🤣 But now I can't wait for "regular" laying. Although with days getting shorter, I may be in for a long wait for that!

Back
Top Bottom