What are the happiest ending options for my Roos? Long and rambling post.

Pics
...has a hard enough time reading humans and their cues. I could never expect him to notice much less interpret Chicken behavior.
Some people find animal behavior harder to interpret than human behavior, but some people find animals easier.

(Just something to maybe think about. I am not trying to make you change what is currently working fine for you and your child.)

Now inexperienced people will tell you that the darling, became the nightmare in an instant, but more than likely they were misunderstanding the cues of violence that he had been giving out.
  • The seem friendly and approach you - they are in your space, and have no respect for you

question though- when does this behavior stop being curious/friendly baby roo behaviors, and start being big bad rooster warnings? Obviously not the more aggressive behaviors like sneaking/challenging/biting, but as far as approaching, feeling comfortable in my space, etc. Because my Roos are only freshly being ignored, so they’re still very comfortable around me. They’re about 8 weeks old now. I have started just going about my business in the coop, I do acknowledge them and say hello (should I stop that?), and do what needs to be done with slow, purposeful movements. They aren’t scared, but they do move out of my way. They don’t keep their distance though, in fact they don’t seem to notice or care where they are in relation to me. Will that start to change once the hormones start ramping up?

Some people find animal behavior harder to interpret than human behavior, but some people find animals easier.

(Just something to maybe think about. I am not trying to make you change what is currently working fine for you and your child.)
I’m that type of person lol. Aside from my kids and a few very close friends and loved ones, I’ll choose hanging out with animals over people every time. Haha

question though- when does this behavior stop being curious/friendly baby roo behaviors, and start being big bad rooster warnings? Obviously not the more aggressive behaviors like sneaking/challenging/biting, but as far as approaching, feeling comfortable in my space, etc. Because my Roos are only freshly being ignored, so they’re still very comfortable around me. They’re about 8 weeks old now. I have started just going about my business in the coop, I do acknowledge them and say hello (should I stop that?), and do what needs to be done with slow, purposeful movements. They aren’t scared, but they do move out of my way. They don’t keep their distance though, in fact they don’t seem to notice or care where they are in relation to me. Will that start to change once the hormones start ramping up?
At first I was like you, (years ago) and a lot of people are so hopeful of getting a good rooster, and just sure that if a person does this, or does not do that... they will raise up a good rooster. Now, IMO, there really is nothing you can do, it is a crap shoot. I do think handling roosters makes them worse, and raising roosters in a multiple generational flock, where as there are older and younger birds makes for better roosters but even then you will get some birds with bad behaviors.

The people that raise successful roosters, and have multiple roosters do not keep rotten roosters, or even so-so roosters. That is the real trick, a sharp knife.

I would stomp my feet at them, and make them keep a 5 foot distance from me. They need to be a little afraid of you. Currently I have had a bad case of chicken math and am way over stocked (it will be corrected by Sept) but I have 6 rooster chicks, 6 pullets in with my laying flock and rooster. Those chicks are integrated with the flock, but they are low down and stay away from the older birds. The move naturally away from the older birds and about 5 feet is the space. If the chicks are eating at a bowl, and the older bird comes up, they move off. (I have several feed bowls so they do get enough). I call it bowing to the queen, there is not chasing or pecking, just a natural moving away from them.

They generally become a problem if they are going to be a problem about 4-7 months. A year old well behaved rooster has never gone bad for me, but I have seen posts where they did.

If you can inform your children and are comfortable with it yourself, that there is a real possibility that you might have to cull one or both of the roosters due to their aggressiveness, then keep them. Children will follow your cue, in my experience. If you are uncomfortable with that, and most of us are when we first start out, it would be better to get them re-homed now.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom