what are the humidity levels supposed to be ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by orlandoluv1, Mar 23, 2008.

1. orlandoluv1

orlandoluv1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    spring valley , CA
    sorry but i cant find the post that says it so if someone could quick fill me in. cause ive been having problems mainataining a consistent humidy in the incubator.

2. KYBOY

KYBOY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Eastern,Kentucky
    well about 40%-50% first 18 days then up 60%-65% on days 19,20 and 21

3. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Here's info for what humidity different eggs should be incubated at...scroll down about half way thru the page...Incubation Info

Dawn

4. orlandoluv1

orlandoluv1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    spring valley , CA
    i think the humidity inmy house fluctuates too much and it gets really humid in the bator. is there anything i can do to stop that fom happening. right now i went in there and the humidity was at like 60 ahhggggghh i dont know what else to do i am definately investing in a better bator.1588 for me!

5. KYBOY

KYBOY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Eastern,Kentucky
    I like my forced air LG pretty well but its going by-by soon as possible. [​IMG] I burn a lot of wood and have electric heat also. Both suck the humidity right out of my house. Temp spikes of 10* are a normal thing in most any room depending on day or night. If I had central air and heat it would be great, but I dont [​IMG] I can fill all the water trays up and still only have a humidity level of around 35% :mad: I have to add extra cups just to get up to 40% [​IMG] Then befor hatch I had to plug the drain holes in the bottom so I can fill the whole bottom with water to get to 60% [​IMG] .........Its a full time job to run a styrafoam bator in my house. Im going to get a sportsmen as soon as possible. Cover it at night, uncover in the morning. Re-fill all the extra water trays constantly...Under ideal conditions it would be great. I just cant accomidate ideal conditions.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2008
  6. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    i think the humidity inmy house fluctuates too much

Where do you live?

Here is what I would do:

Run the incubator, empty of eggs and completely dry for 2 or 3 days, taking regular humidity readings. If the Humidity doesn't rise above 50% you are good to go. Raising low humidity is easy, you just add water untill it's right and open ventilation holes if it goes a little too high.

If the humidity is OVER 50%, then you need the incubator in a dryer atmosphere. Either move it, or use a dehumidifier in the room.​

7. franfoley

franfoley Out Of The Brooder

The problem I am having is the wet bulb vs the other?

I have maintained my humidity at 58 % for the first 18 days.

Do I now have to raise it to 65% for the last 3 days?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by