What are the Laws or Ordinances for owning chickens and roosters in Jefferson County AL ?

Redhen1970

Hatching
Feb 2, 2021
I am needing to know if Jefferson County has laws or ordinances for owning chickens and rooster, also free- range.

The most accurate information will come from the ordinances themselves. Go to city hall and get a copy from the clerk. Don't tell them why or ask anyone there about chickens.

I am needing to know if Jefferson County has laws or ordinances for owning chickens and rooster, also free- range.
If you are out in the county then there’s probably nothing regulating chickens and such. But if you’re in Birmingham or one of the surrounding towns there may be issues.

Thank you for your response. yes we live in unincorporated Jefferson Co. so chickens are free to roam, but not free to destroy property. Unfortunately we have had an issue with others chickens for a few years and now are having to do something about it. the chickens come on our property and root up our trees, bushes and rose bushes and the neighbors say the chickens keep escaping. Any cheap ideas for me to see if i can help my neighbors keep their chickens from escaping. I had looked up deer fencing to put on top of the coop or places they may be getting out. ??

Thank you for your response. yes we live in unincorporated Jefferson Co. so chickens are free to roam, but not free to destroy property. Unfortunately we have had an issue with others chickens for a few years and now are having to do something about it. the chickens come on our property and root up our trees, bushes and rose bushes and the neighbors say the chickens keep escaping. Any cheap ideas for me to see if i can help my neighbors keep their chickens from escaping. I had looked up deer fencing to put on top of the coop or places they may be getting out. ??
It's not escaping if it keeps happening. I suspect they're just being let out. Deer netting is cheap and effective at keeping them in..

They probably aren't letting them out. They just don't have them properly penned. After the first time they got into your yard, that was their sign they needed to fix a fence. After; the second time, they needed to take their responsibility as animal owners seriously.
Maybe they are lazy.

Back
Top Bottom