What are the odds??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Heckel's Hens, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Heckel's Hens

Heckel's Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Southern VA
    I have 7 chicks hatched from the following color eggs:
    green
    blue
    tan
    copper
    medium brown
    white

The blue/green are EEs, but the rest are all different breeds, including Maran and Polish.

I figured the Maran would make a black chick, but to have SIX black chicks and 1 grey??? Where is the yellow and brown chick?? The eggs are not all from the same farm, even. [​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I have no idea where you are coming from. Egg shell color has no bearing whatsoever on chick down color, or mature chicken color or pattern. Is this what you mean?

3. horseyjess

horseyjess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    SW Florida
    Well I dont have a clue most Polish eggs are white.. Depends on the parents to the color. The Polish usually have a bump on thier head... That is all I have experence for..

4. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    the tan could also be an EE which could give you a black chick. Of my 4 EE's 2 were black, one was grey (she is white now) and one was brown w/black & white stripes and now she is black and white with a white head, she looks like an eagle. They are all my sweetest girls. My EE's lay blue, green and lite tan eggs.

All the other eggs?... I don't have a clue. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  5. Heckel's Hens

Heckel's Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Southern VA
    Nothing is "pue bred" and i don't mind at all what they all or look like. I was just really surprised to get a dozen different eggs, from different breeds and different farms and yet they all came out black chicks. Just thought that was odd...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by