What are the oldest eggs you've successfully hatched?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jossanne, Jun 12, 2010.

1. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I've got a broody silkie with 13 silkie and bantam cochin eggs on day 9. In the last two days, I've also had a bantam cochin, a welsummer, and a barred rock go broody. I gave the welsummer a bunch of our mixed barnyard eggs to set today, but want to give the other mamas some eggs too. I'm thinking I'll split the bantam eggs and give half to the bantam cochin, but all the eggs I have left are questionable.

So... if you were in my shoes, and wanted to hatch some babies, which would you set? Day-old, refrigerated eggs, or non-refrigerated bantam eggs that are between two and four weeks old? I could wait til tomorrow and give her all of tomorrow's eggs, but if there's a possibility that the older bantam eggs would hatch, I'd rather she hatched those.

What are the OLDEST eggs you've hatched successfully?

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Three week old refrigerated turkey egg.

3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Had a little Spanish Game hen lay 10 eggs in the hot Florida August sun, over a 4 week period and hatched all 10. Doesn`t mean your banty eggs will, but I`ll bet you get some........Pop

4. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Think I'll set my BR up with the old bantam eggs then, and let her have a try at hatching them. My house is pretty warm, but if there's hope I'll give them a chance. If they don't develop, I'll just give her some new eggs later. It will be a good experiment! I'll update after candling next weekend!

5. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    3 week old duck eggs. Got a good hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by