1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what are the pros/cons of bunnies?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Snowygirl, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Snowygirl

Snowygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Mirkwood
    My sister wants a bunny.....and i was wondering if anyone has one or might
    have any thoughts on this. what breed would be a good breed for her? any
    hints/advice for me? i'm still not sure if i want a bunny......[​IMG]

2. carolinagirl58

carolinagirl58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    how old is your sister?

3. Hucklekree

Hucklekree Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2011
    Enumclaw
    I've had bunnies for pets, meat and fiber. What exactly is your purpose behind wanting one? Different breeds are meant for different purposes (as with all livestock). My pet through college was a mini rex named Lola she was potty trained and a sweet heart. I'd take her for walks like a dog everyday.

I have one french angora now who's a rascal but provides nice soft fiber. Could have been a pet I suppose but really better suited for being a hutch bunny.

I also have meat rabbits who are very sweet (most of the time) and some breeds could be pets (think: flemmish giant).

Bunnies are a huge responsibility. Along the lines of a puppy that never matures. If kept indoors you literally will need to bunny proof everything. They need to be potty trained like a toddler. Thankfully, they pick up on it quicker [​IMG] They can live for 10-15 years depending on breed and health and care.

If kept outside, it is infinitely less invasive but in order to spend time with them you will need to go outside everyday and play with them. Bunnies need 2 hours of exercise a day to continue to be healthly. That means out of cage exercise you can't get them a wheel like a hamster.

All the hard stuff out of the way I will say that Lola was one of my favorite pets ever! Bunnies are amazingly smart (for being what they are) and have a deep set loyalty for their owners once trust is established. Lola used to chase off strangers on the couch so she could sit next to me. She always followed me from room to room and was a very dear bunny. I had to give her away to a sweet little girl once I had my child because of time restraints. Bunnies demand alot of time to be kept happy. Hope this helps!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  4. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    My favorite are the holland lops. I just like to add to the comment above is that their pee has a very strong order. DID she ever thought of a guinea pig.?

5. Snowygirl

Snowygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Mirkwood
    well she's 6 and wanted one as a pet. but i'd have to do some of the work.
    i've heard that dwarf bunnies are good pets...is that true? yes we've had
    had guinea pigs.....let's just say when you have to keep them inside they're
    very loud. [​IMG] thanks for the answers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by