What are the red "blood spots" on egg yolks?

I always thought it was fertilized. So how do u tell a fertilized egg from an unfertilized egg?
hu.gif

Quote:
There is a sticky at the top of this category that shows pics of an unfertilized egg vs. a fertilized one.
I don't bother to look that closely at mine. They are all fertilized, I know that and it doesn't matter.

The difference in fertilized and unfertilized eggs is actually just the difference in size of a tiny hardly noticeable white dot.

I've been collecting eggs now for about 2 months, and no blood spots. Then last week I collected eggs, 2 of the eggs shells looked speckled and kinda funny...not as smooth, just different, so I decided to cook those eggs for my self and not the people I am supplying with eggs. Both had blood spots by the yolk. My belief is that the eggs came from 2 different pullets, because of the way I collect and package.

tfpets I appreciate you post. I hope this is not recurring. 2 eggs out of 200 is 1%, but I really want it to be 0%.

Also I ate the eggs and they were fine..I did wonder the same thing as redhen, if it was because the egg was fertilized and starting to develop.

If the spots are supposed to be rare does that mean something is wrong if they occur frequently? My girls eat spinach so it shouldn't be lack of Vitamin A. Four out of four eggs had a spot today.

In Home Ec we were taught to break every egg in a dish before adding to whatever your baking in case of a spot. Does this mean you shouldn't bake with spotted eggs? I should of paid more attention in class but I never saw an egg with a spot until I starting getting eggs from my backyard.

hi patpark!..i see it is your first post?...welcome to BYC!..these guys here are awesome for helping others....unfortunatley i'm not one of them...lol..i'm one of the clueless ones they always have to help..
he.gif
....good question though..i'm sure someone will see your question..and help ya out...if not..try starting a new post with your question so they will be more likely to see it and help ya out....take care, Wendy:)

Quote:
Don't scrub em. The spots are normal, especially with newly laying hens.
I occasionally see a spot or two of blood on my egg shells as well, also perfectly normal.

Back
Top Bottom