What are the red "blood spots" on egg yolks?

I've been collecting eggs now for about 2 months, and no blood spots. Then last week I collected eggs, 2 of the eggs shells looked speckled and kinda funny...not as smooth, just different, so I decided to cook those eggs for my self and not the people I am supplying with eggs. Both had blood spots by the yolk. My belief is that the eggs came from 2 different pullets, because of the way I collect and package.

tfpets I appreciate you post. I hope this is not recurring. 2 eggs out of 200 is 1%, but I really want it to be 0%.

Also I ate the eggs and they were fine..I did wonder the same thing as redhen, if it was because the egg was fertilized and starting to develop.

My neighbor...who raised chickens at one time...says she wanted no red spots....I guess other people want those orange firm yolks!!!
wee.gif

If the spots are supposed to be rare does that mean something is wrong if they occur frequently? My girls eat spinach so it shouldn't be lack of Vitamin A. Four out of four eggs had a spot today.

In Home Ec we were taught to break every egg in a dish before adding to whatever your baking in case of a spot. Does this mean you shouldn't bake with spotted eggs? I should of paid more attention in class but I never saw an egg with a spot until I starting getting eggs from my backyard.

Perfectly safe to eat and you can bake with them just fine. People just overreact because all our store bought eggs are strongly candled and sorted to only sell the perfect ones as is. The rest are mixed into various other things they sell so you don't notice. It's also not all that uncommon. You'll see all sorts of odd things with eggs from your own flock. Most are just fine to eat even if they don't look like the pristine store bought eggs.

hi patpark!..i see it is your first post?...welcome to BYC!..these guys here are awesome for helping others....unfortunatley i'm not one of them...lol..i'm one of the clueless ones they always have to help..
he.gif
....good question though..i'm sure someone will see your question..and help ya out...if not..try starting a new post with your question so they will be more likely to see it and help ya out....take care, Wendy:)

Quote:
Don't scrub em. The spots are normal, especially with newly laying hens.
I occasionally see a spot or two of blood on my egg shells as well, also perfectly normal.

smile.png
I'm new to these posts. Greetings all.

I have two girls that just started laying and I get two small eggs each day. I have a Rode Island red and a Barred Rock, Lavern and Shirley.

The barred rock lays eggs with blood on the eggs, I thought this was normal but it is still happening its been about 2 weeks now.

My boys can tell me which of the girls layed by the dry blood. Will this go away should I do something. The eggs are good I hope. Any feed back would be great thanks.

Hi Joe and welcome to BYC!
All I can tell you is that with my flock the blood spots have decreased in number as the girls lay more and more eggs. They're not harmful in any way.
If the hen acts normal and not showing any signs of illness or having alot of blood around her vent I wouldn't worry.

Back
Top Bottom