What are the regulations for your city in regards to backyard chickens?

Leahlene040

In the Brooder
Dec 9, 2019
Hello!

My town doesn't allow chickens. However, with a new mayor, I would like to approach city council with a detailed plan on how to peacefully allow chickens in an "urban" setting. I have done a little researching, but would like to hear how different cities allow it. Feel free to share yours and what town you are in! Or if you have any suggestions on how to go about it. TIA!

Where, in general, are you located? How big is the city that you are in? How densely populated is the area you live in? Do you live in an HOA, bc HOA rules regarding chickens will override anything that is voted in for the general public.

there is a state thread for wherever you reside. Go to “Social” > “where am I, Where are you?” > at the top there is a pinned thread where you can find your state thread. Maybe you can get info on other locations closer to where you reside and that would be more meaningful to your goals.

Sadly, my town also doesn't allow chickens, but recently with the closing of my school site, I took home our classroom eggs. A week later the chicks arrived, now my chicks are a week old and I've grown quite attached to them. Looking in to my city ordinances....I can apply for a permit however the coop needs to be 40 feet away from my neighbors' homes...., clean and without offensive odors, closed containers/run to prevent vermin and bugs . I've been looking in to buying a top notch coop to assist with smell, care, and safety, but I can't seem to meet all of the by laws. The city would come out and check on my property and decide in my favor or not 14 days after I submit my request for a permit ( not sure what the timeline would be these days) . Additionally my coop would not be installed for a couple of months. I live in South San Francisco, CA...... Many of the surrounding cities allow chickens.

My town doesn't allow chickens. However, with a new mayor, I would like to approach city council with a detailed plan on how to peacefully allow chickens in an "urban" setting. I have done a little researching, but would like to hear how different cities allow it. Feel free to share yours and what town you are in! Or if you have any suggestions on how to go about it. TIA!
[/QUOTE]

My city allows up to 6 hens without a permit. Anymore than that and you need a permit, which seems easy enough to get. Roosters are not allowed for more than a week or two (for breeding purposes). A few surrounding towns are Right to Farm, so no rules.

My town allows up to 4 hens for homes on lots under half an acre. Roosters are not allowed. If you have more than half an acre, you can have more hens.

I’ve been trying unsuccessfully in my town for a year. Hoping since we are getting some new council people I will have better luck. All of the surrounding towns allow them. I’m hoping to suggest either a lot size requirement or distance from housing, as that seems to be the biggest issue. They don’t want someone with 15 chickens right on main street on a 2,000 sq ft lot. I’ll also suggest no roosters and also a max of X hens. Possibly a permit if it would help it get it passed.

Allowing no hens at all; seems pretty unreasonable. You can keep 2-3 hens in a rather small yard and they do not make a lot of noise.

My town allows chickens, but no roosters. You need the coop far enough away from the neighbors houses and it can't be smelly, etc.

Used to be 5 acres or more A3 zoning only. They lightened few years ago. back yard chickens are allowed if kept 35 ft from another house and 10 ft from property line. No roosters. But their a few chicken owners without a roo. i think there's a limit of 6 in town but I live in the outskirts in the rural area where's it's whatever

Back
Top Bottom