What are the signs indicating that the cockerel is about to mature?

Lashman8

In the Brooder
Oct 29, 2021
My cockerel will be at 7 months in about one week. Hasn't crowed or anything yet. Interesting why this late, and also I'm interested of there are accurate and well tried signs to tell a cockerel is gonna start its thing?

Can you post a photo of your cockerel?
Yeah, I can, he is cockerel looking too btw. (Saddle and tails are well developed though)

Attachments

• IMG_20211030_150810_1.jpg
    IMG_20211030_150810_1.jpg
    965.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20211030_150814.jpg
    IMG_20211030_150814.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
Yeah, I can, he is cockerel looking too btw. (Saddle and tails are well developed though)
He’s beautiful!

Do you have any other roosters? It’s not uncommon for a junior rooster to respectfully refrain from crowing in the presence of a senior rooster. I don’t think that would last forever, but longer than 7 months wouldn’t surprise me.

He’s beautiful!

Do you have any other roosters? It’s not uncommon for a junior rooster to respectfully refrain from crowing in the presence of a senior rooster. I don’t think that would last forever, but longer than 7 months wouldn’t surprise me.
I have only older hens who are higher in pecking order. No, I don't have any roosters

I have only older hens who are higher in pecking order. No, I don't have any roosters
Interesting. I’m sure he will crow soon. Maybe those mature hens are intimidating him and keeping him respectful. I have seen in my own flock that teenage cockerels harass pullets their own age, but the older hens don’t put up with that. I think it’s good for a cockerel to learn manners from mature hens. Maybe he will turn out to be the best rooster your flock could have.

My cockerel will be at 7 months in about one week. Hasn't crowed or anything yet. Interesting why this late, and also I'm interested of there are accurate and well tried signs to tell a cockerel is gonna start its thing?
Not quite sure what you mean by "start its thing". That could be taken a few different ways.

Each chicken, male and female, has it own personality. They don't all act the same. They mature at different rates. The interactions of chicken society can be pretty complex. Each flock has its own dynamics based on those personalities and flock make-up. Finnie mentioned that a dominant rooster can intimidate a less dominant cockerel. A strongly dominant hen can have the same effect on a weaker cockerel.

If you mean when will he start mating the girls, he may already be and you haven't noticed. It's not always a wild cockerel pillaging and raping as he lays waste to the area. Or the hens may have him so intimidated he doesn't even try. What I often see is that some hens accept his advances and willingly squat while others don't. They may run from him or they may fight him. The dominant hen can knock him off if he tries to mate a willing hen. Some cockerels start trying to mate and dominate other chickens, even mature hens, as young as 12 weeks. Others can wait close to a year. So what is a sign that he is starting to mate the girls? When you see him, if he isn't already.

When will he start taking care of his flock? Finding them food and calling them over, warning the flock of danger, breaking up fights and keep peace in his flock? Maybe helping the hens find a good nest or rounding them up at night? A lot don't do all of this. But that happens when he matures to the point that it is his flock or he wants it to be. The personality of your dominant hen can have a big effect on this if she is strong. To me the best combination is a dominant hen that is still dominant but isn't that strong while the boy has a strong personality, he can often win them all over pretty peacefully. But a weak cockerel and a strong battle axe of a dominant hen that doesn't give any quarter can get violent. With most of mine that take-over happens when he is around 7 months old and is usually pretty peaceful. But I have had a cockerel take over as young as 5 months (that was peaceful), and one that waited 11 months (that was not peaceful).

I don't know of any physical signs or any appearance changes in a cockerel that signals any of this. This is all behavioral. The only signs I know of that show he is going to start doing any of these things is when he does. It may be a smooth transition, it may be violent. You never know.

Interesting. I’m sure he will crow soon. Maybe those mature hens are intimidating him and keeping him respectful. I have seen in my own flock that teenage cockerels harass pullets their own age, but the older hens don’t put up with that. I think it’s good for a cockerel to learn manners from mature hens. Maybe he will turn out to be the best rooster your flock could have.
Thank you for these words!

Wow, I would call that a complete answer!
Yeah, I would have notice if he had started mating. He isn't mature enough.. but anyways, how can I determine how strong chicken's personality is?
In my estimation, the most dominant hen has pretty hard personality, she fought a lot as a broody hen. But this cockerel's got strong personality too I think.

Not quite sure what you mean by "start its thing". That could be taken a few different ways.

Each chicken, male and female, has it own personality. They don't all act the same. They mature at different rates. The interactions of chicken society can be pretty complex. Each flock has its own dynamics based on those personalities and flock make-up. Finnie mentioned that a dominant rooster can intimidate a less dominant cockerel. A strongly dominant hen can have the same effect on a weaker cockerel.

If you mean when will he start mating the girls, he may already be and you haven't noticed. It's not always a wild cockerel pillaging and raping as he lays waste to the area. Or the hens may have him so intimidated he doesn't even try. What I often see is that some hens accept his advances and willingly squat while others don't. They may run from him or they may fight him. The dominant hen can knock him off if he tries to mate a willing hen. Some cockerels start trying to mate and dominate other chickens, even mature hens, as young as 12 weeks. Others can wait close to a year. So what is a sign that he is starting to mate the girls? When you see him, if he isn't already.

When will he start taking care of his flock? Finding them food and calling them over, warning the flock of danger, breaking up fights and keep peace in his flock? Maybe helping the hens find a good nest or rounding them up at night? A lot don't do all of this. But that happens when he matures to the point that it is his flock or he wants it to be. The personality of your dominant hen can have a big effect on this if she is strong. To me the best combination is a dominant hen that is still dominant but isn't that strong while the boy has a strong personality, he can often win them all over pretty peacefully. But a weak cockerel and a strong battle axe of a dominant hen that doesn't give any quarter can get violent. With most of mine that take-over happens when he is around 7 months old and is usually pretty peaceful. But I have had a cockerel take over as young as 5 months (that was peaceful), and one that waited 11 months (that was not peaceful).

I don't know of any physical signs or any appearance changes in a cockerel that signals any of this. This is all behavioral. The only signs I know of that show he is going to start doing any of these things is when he does. It may be a smooth transition, it may be violent. You never know.

Back
Top Bottom