What are these hens?

They sure look like Australorps at first look, but then I saw the leg differences. I think you probably have something crossed with Aussie there. How dark are the eggs. Are they chocolate kind of dark? Got pictures of the eggs to show us? If they are really dark brown, then maybe an Aussie X Marans?
I think all of them look good and healthy. Nice looking flock as long as you are going for all purebreds.

I think they're australorp crosses.
They could be crossed with marans or pendesenca to get the darker eggs, and that touch of copper on the one's neck. They're body type is much like the australorp, not like a marans... I personally don't know too much about the pendesenca breed.

Gorgeous gals, honey. Absolutely darling.

I'm a Black Copper Maran addict, so take what I'm offering with a grain of salt since I'm a complete nutter for these.
smile.png
My gals are Bev Davis line, so supposedly truer to breed standards (BCMs aren't accepted, as yet) but we really need to see the eggs to know. BCMs should lay #4 or darker eggs on a regular basis, their ears should show you future egg shell color so darker is better there.

FWIW, there's two lines of Marans - one feathered (French) and one not feathered (English). Black Coppers should have black beaks, shanks and toes. I can see quite a bit of yellow in their feet (hens 4-6), I'm not sure due to lighting on the others but they seem rather grayish would be normal for a BCM.

Combs should be very dark red, five or more points and upright with a detached 'end' pointing over the back of their heads. Again, hard to see with the pics - but #2, #3 and #4 look more attached at the top of their heads.

That said, the shape looks a bit off for Maran so my guess is mixes. The Marans I have and those I've seen pictures of having much longer straight backs, with a sloping tail. Some of yours are very short-backed, almost U-shaped (#5), with a high set, horizontal tail.

Here's my BCMs, for comparison (4 months old) - long straight backs, short tails, yadda-yadda.

Jan6014.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom