what are these mites

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by richje100, Jul 25, 2010.

1. richje100

richje100 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    UK, Wales
    hi guys,

i had a broody sitting on some fertile eggs for about 2weeks. today, collected the eggs & shes sitting on another set of non fertile eggs in a different nest.
    collected the fertile eggs & noticed they had tiny grey mites on them. i cant describe them tidy but they were no bigger than 1mm and grey colour.
    anyone got any idea what they are & how to get rid? unfortunatly the fertile eggs where no more. shes probably been off them for a day as they were stone cold.

2. ChickenCop

ChickenCop Chillin' With My Peeps

Northern mites is what you got...Every gets them and if they say they dont have them..WELLLLL....anyways, there are greater chances when you have a broody hen to run across mites for they crave the moisture. If you check that hen on her back side you will probably see mites or mite eggs (white incolor) on her.
    Clean out all the nest boxes and use DE or sevin dust. I personally use Adams flea and tick spray and have great results over the years. Be sure to spray your hens as well on the back side and under their wings. Best of luck!

3. richje100

richje100 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    UK, Wales
    thanks for replyin. can i use normal cat/dog flea spray?
    do i have to throw away the eggs if i treat her? and do i treat all the hens at the same time?

cheers

4. ChickenCop

You should be perfectly fine with your eggs after treating her. If you have the time yes go ahead and treat all your hens doesnt hurt and if you check the others they have have signs of mites anyways. Best of Luck!

5. ChickenCop

yeah any type should be ok...Be sure to cover her vent when your spraying!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by